Regardless of Cost what is the best .223 Rem Coyote Bullet ?

If cost was not a factor and you had unlimited funds what Rifle- twist rate and bullet would you use in a .223 Rem ? Or would you buy Factory Ammo ?
This is for Coyotes only !

And why because it's DRT or Saving Pelts ?

45gr TSX would be a top contender, 1:9", 18" light profile barrel, AR 15 or other semi-auto. Because high velocity, 99% weight retention, and flat trajectory. They kill effectively with 100% penetration from any angle and minimal damage. And you can use them on pigs and deer and for home defense and anything else you can think of. 50gr TTSX as a secondary option for the same reasons.

65gr SGK has been my favorite for hunting so far, similar reasons that Dirty Dog brought up, they're great for fur and they hit like a brick, bones wont stop the bullet or cause splash damage, fox to whitetail.

I just started playing with 53gr TSX a few months ago, I havent taken them hunting yet but I got them screaming along over 3450fps so I'm expecting good results.

AR or bolt gun, which ever you can get on target fastest, 16"-20" barrel, 1-8 or 1-9 twist.... there should be a ten twist.

Bolt gun Rem 700, Lilja #4 sporter 12 twist 3 groove 21 3/4" finish threaded 1/2-28. 200 Lapua brass. Manson custom 223AI reamer zero freebore no turn neck. Bart's 52 gr bullet. HS precision police stock. Rail mount and Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50. Should be 5 in the same hole at 100, dime to nickel groups at 300 yards. This would be a day rifle. If you miss it's your fault.

Bolt action.

Rem. Model 7 Predator .223 Meopta Artemis 1.5-6x40mm #1 reticle 52gr Speer HP Varmint.

AR

RPG 16" 223 same bullet(they work well for me). I just mounted a Konus Pro M-30 1.5-6x44mm with illuminated circle dot reticle on it yesterday, took it out, shot it and it is a surprisingly nice scope for the money, I'm a set and forget guy we'll see if it holds up, it is airgun rated

These are for calling coyotes and 300 yards is a long shot for me. I have a clone for the top one in 20 Practicle.

For longer range stuff off the shelf I might pick a Howa Mini HB and go with one of the 3-15 or 4-16 scope with reliable turrets. I have no recommendations as I don't hunt like that. I have a The same rifle in 6.5 Grendel with a 6.5-20 scope on it for long range stuff, too much gun for coyotes.

I quit saving pelts, so I like real dead, real quick.

bolt gun only

223-24"-12-14T-short freebore
hot load of benchmark and cci 450 is a must for supurb accuracy
55g Sierra lead tip blitz at 3450

Blows a coyote up, you will have to see it to believe it.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI quit saving pelts, so I like real dead, real quick.

I've never saved pelts so the above has pretty much always been my way of thinking. The more and faster the deaderer, the better. If they have a softball size hole, perfect!

I used a lot of 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in my 223 and they always worked great but when I had my Rem LTR rebarreled to 223AI was right when Hornady came out with the 53gr Vmax and I've used them ever since. I use that same bullet in my 12tw 22-250 and they've yet to disappoint in either gun.

I was just out shooting at my buddies new land and we stuck a target to a tree he is going to cut down. One of my 3 53gr TSX made it through 8 or 9 inches of cherry wood, only thing I've seen penetrate that much is the steel core 7.62x39 ammo, I couldnt believe it.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI was just out shooting at my buddies new land and we stuck a target to a tree he is going to cut down. One of my 3 53gr TSX made it through 8 or 9 inches of cherry wood, only thing I've seen penetrate that much is the steel core 7.62x39 ammo, I couldnt believe it. That's why I doubt heavier versions are useful. Lighter options still penetrate exceptionally well, with full expansion, and at higher velocity. It seems heavier options offer few or no advantages at all.

I would like to see some ballistic comparisons for 45gr, 53gr and 62gr. From a 100 yard zero my 16" is only dropping 8.5" with 53gr TSX at 300 yards, I've got them shooting with a stiff load of H322 and that gets them moving out of the BHW barrel.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI quit saving pelts, so I like real dead, real quick.

bolt gun only

223-24"-12-14T-short freebore
hot load of benchmark and cci 450 is a must for supurb accuracy
55g Sierra lead tip blitz at 3450

Blows a coyote up, you will have to see it to believe it.

I am getting ready to try your "Mack Daddy" 223 REM load with N135. A large jug arrives tomorrow.

Back on topic..

I started using the Sierra #1390 in 2013, and to this day am amazed! It has very good performance.

You can get them for .18 to .20 cents a piece at Bi-Mart.

Recommendations So Far

Barnes TSX 45gr, 50gr 53gr

Berger 52gr HP, 70gr, 73gr

Bart's 52gr

Hornady 50gr SP, 50gr SX, 53 V-Max, 55gr V-Max, 55gr SP, 60gr SP, 60gr V-Max,
62gr SP

Nosler 40gr BT, 55gr BT

Sierra 55gr HPBT, 55gr Blitz Lead Tip, 65gr SGK

Speer 52gr HP

Some here surprises here I though I would see some more Hornady & Nosler bullets, I am also surprised at Barnes TSX
I have on my Reloading Bench, Nosler 40gr BT and Hornday's 53gr V-Max
I was courious if I was missing out on any thing.

Last edited:
My opinion is that plastic tip varmint bullets were a marketing fad that is now falling away, I dont buy plastic tips for anything anymore. SP out perform ballistic tips for hunting and BTHP out perform ballistic tips for for long range target shooting.

Varmint bullets are for blowing up gophers, in a hot 22-250 things I'm sure are different but 53 vmax and 52 berger HP varmint from 223 have wrecked lots of fur and caused a lot of wounding shots and lots of follow up shots for me.

I would expect the bonded noslers to be better but I'm not going to pay copper barnes prices for a lead and plastic bullet.

I have a 400 rd case of factory Nosler 223 40 gr BT, and 1000 bullets supposed to arrive today. If I don't go shoot pd(virus interferes) this year, I probably will shoot a few coyote next winter to see how they work for myself. Out of my AR's I still like the Hornady 50 gr SX, I shoot coyote for fur.

I'd send a a model 7 action to Shaen Magan and have a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 magnum contour in a McSwirly stock, run the Berger VLD bullets from 70-73gr bullets and put a Murray Precision rail, Nightforce Rings and a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 x 50mm with the Mil-C F1 reticle up top

The most accurate bullet i have ever shot hands down is the Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tip. I bought a pile of them on sale years back.

The rifle i shoot them out of is not threaded for a suppressor. I have never shot anything but targets with it. Or i would have most definitely recommended it.

My rifle that shoots the 1390's is always suppressed and always handy. 100% of my hunting is on my own property. So i shoot that 100% of the time when hunting.

Everything else is at the target range.

For those light bullets try Benchmark, R7, W748, H322, H335 and/or a whole host of others.

If the load won't shoot change bullets

Powder is making a come back at Brownells right now.

They have 8lb jugs of IMR 3031, H322 and a couple others

Rifle Powders In Stock

Originally Posted By: 1100 Remington ManRecommendations So Far

Barnes TSX 45gr, 50gr 53gr

Bart's 52gr

Hornady 53gr V-Max

Nosler 40gr BT

Sierra 55gr HPBT, 55gr Blitz Lead Tip, 65gr SGK

Speer 52gr HP

Some here surprises here I though I would see some more Hornady & Nosler bullets, I am also surprised at Barnes TSX
I have on my Reloading Bench, Nosler 40gr BT and Hornday's 53gr V-Max
I was courious if I was missing out on any thing.

I don't think that you are missing out on anything, especially since you posed such a great question.

I tend to drift around on calibers quite a bit. I use the AR platforms almost exclusively these days. So I tend to drift between my .17 Rem, .204 Ruger, .223 Rem, 6.5G and .308.

I wouldn't hesitate to snatch up my 18in 1:8 twist .223 at a moment's notice, but it's not my go to these days. We don't hunt for fur here in AZ for coyotes, so I want them down HARD, so I usually use my 6.5G or .308 Win. But I am currently working with some frangible projectiles to see about their terminal performance on coyotes. In the past the 55, 60 and 62gr Hornady SP's were a favorite of mine, and still are. But I want to see what these frangibles will do too. Just to add to my catalog of bullets.

As for the 40gr NBT, my one rifle shoots them so accurately it is scary. I've been using it for pelt hunting coyotes in that rifle since 2006 and have had zero problems with it running them at close to 4000 fps our of a 9 twist 22-204, zero splashes and virtually no exits unless I get close to the edges.

Since I always hope that a bobcat will show up, I'm not shooting a hopped up .243 with 75 grain Vmaxes, which is what I'd probably shoot just to kill coyotes. With my .223, I quite like 53 grain Hornady Vmaxes. 55s are just as good, but seem to exit more often, and based on the one bobcat I shot with it, that's not nice.

Back