6.5 Grendel Upper?

6mm06

Just looking and thinking at the moment, but have considered a possible 6.5 Grendel upper in the future. I have been Googling searches and found a place called AR15 Part.com and just want to ask if anyone has used uppers from this place. Also how is the quality of Palmetto State uppers compared to others? Suggestions for a good accurate upper ready to purchase, without breaking my wallet? Optimal barrel length?

Just gaining information at the moment. Thanks.

I've gotten uppers from Palmetto and found them to be of pretty decent quality. Each one has been very accurate for me with no problems of any kind.

I have one from PSA, 18”, has been fine. I used TAC for my reloads. I haven’t given it heavy testing, it’s been off the lower a while.

My upper cane in yesterday from Palmetto. Way sooner than I expected and great service. Looks great for fit and finish. Came in a nice foam padded box. Didn’t expect that. Now I just need to match it up with a good optic. These AR’s sure are fun. My son is looking at a 22 Nosler for his.

Last edited:
If you can get ahold of a BHW 20" 1-9 P3 in .264 LBC, get it! Load 123 grain Hornady bullets with 28 grains of XBR8208. That's my two cents.

We have 2 6.5 Grendels and I like them. One a Specialized Dynamics build, the other by our own SnowmanMo.

I like the round
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MPFDIf you can get ahold of a BHW 20" 1-9 P3 in .264 LBC, get it! Load 123 grain Hornady bullets with 28 grains of XBR8208. That's my two cents.
What MPFD said. I have this barrel and put it in a BCM upper and free floating hand guard and with 8208 and Hornady 123 ELD M's it will shoot better than my bolt gun. As others have said, "I really like this cartridge " rings very true. Very accurate, easy to load for, factory loadings, has plenty of punch and very good range. If you get it you will not regret it.

When I decided I wanted to build a Grendel upper a few years back I did a LOT of research on the history of the Grendel and variants of the caliber including 264 LBC, and type II chambers.

After reading the differences of Grendel/LBC chambers, the issues of non SAAMI chambers being short chambered, not chambering factory ammo, breaking bolts (type 1) etc. I made up my mind to stick with a SAAMI spec Grendel barrel, which is what Alexander Arms developed.

I've owned Grendel barrels made by Odin Works, Faxon and Criterion. All have SAAMI spec chambers with 1-8 twists. All are extremely accurate (sub .5 MOA) and trouble free with both factory ammo and handloads.

If I were you I'd build an upper using a quality SAAMI spec barrel instead of taking a chance on an inexpensive upper that is more likely to shoot patterns instead of groups.

Bear creek arsenal just emailed me today and said they had a bunch of 6.5 Grendel’s back in stock. I think they have a 10 or 11 different configurations in stock.

Originally Posted By: GhostmanWhen I decided I wanted to build a Grendel upper a few years back I did a LOT of research on the history of the Grendel and variants of the caliber including 264 LBC, and type II chambers.

After reading the differences of Grendel/LBC chambers, the issues of non SAAMI chambers being short chambered, not chambering factory ammo, breaking bolts (type 1) etc. I made up my mind to stick with a SAAMI spec Grendel barrel, which is what Alexander Arms developed.

I've owned Grendel barrels made by Odin Works, Faxon and Criterion. All have SAAMI spec chambers with 1-8 twists. All are extremely accurate (sub .5 MOA) and trouble free with both factory ammo and handloads.

If I were you I'd build an upper using a quality SAAMI spec barrel instead of taking a chance on an inexpensive upper that is more likely to shoot patterns instead of groups.

You did some great research and you are 100% correct. I have personally spent time with Bill Alexander picking his brain about his baby, and he was VERY generous with his time, and I know how those knock offs irritated him. They are also borderline dangerous if you get the wrong combinations.

But with the SAAMI spec'd chamber, and a well manufactured barrel, they are tack drivers and are a blast to shoot.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorBear creek arsenal just emailed me today and said they had a bunch of 6.5 Grendel’s back in stock. I think they have a 10 or 11 different configurations in stock.

Check out the reviews of BCA 6.5 uppers on the 6.5 Grendel forum. Spoiler alert... they aren't favorable.

Based on my experience with a BCA 350 Legend upper and specifically the barrel quality I'll never own another BCA product.

My wife was lucky enough win the 6.5 Grendal upper built by Snowmanmo in the raffle at the PM convention last year. At the time I didn't know anything about the 6.5 Grendal and figured we would probably sell or trade it for something else. After a little research and talking to a couple people that have one I decided we should at least try it out before letting it go. Wow! I am glad I did it quickly turned into my favorite AR. It's an absolute Riot to shoot, Low recoil, light weight and very accurate out too 500 yards. Thanks Mo!

I'm very happy with the upper SnowmanMo built for me. I have no problems recommending anyone interested to checking with him.

Grendel Hunter and Sgt of Arms both have some decent grendel uppers. Sgt of Arms uses Satern barrels which from what I am seeing are fantastic barrels.

I went cheap and went with an Atheris Tier 1 upper. Has a ~MOA guarantee. I didnt want to shell out the extra $200 for the Tier 2 with the sub MOA guarantee. At this point I kind of regret it. First upper shot 5" groups. I contacted the owner of the company and sent mine back. 2 months later I finally get it back with a note saying it shot fine for him and he saw no issues (the upper I got back had a different barrel on it and no bird cage only a thread protector unlike the first one.)
Still only shooting 2"+ groups. I did some early load development and saw some 1" groups but havent done much past that. I was on the fence about the whole thing to begin with and wish I would have just spent the money on more beer. It was only supposed to be a coyote gun so I wasnt after 1/2" groups but when your groups look like patterns its hard to even sight a rifle in.

Back