Pulsar Digex NV Scope

No problem DU. Glad to do a little testing to see what we can see. I agree there has to be some balance between enough light and too much light with these type NV units. The main advantage IMO is positive identification capabilities as compared to thermal. I'm convinced the Digex can detect at further distances than my 4K.

I guess it all comes down to the hunting enviroment. Some of you guys are making outstanding shots on coyotes with thermals at long ranges where digital probably cant reach that far. In my AO, I need 100% positive ID before I pull the trigger, so its thermal for scanning/detection and digital for shooting.

Both digital and thermals have come a long ways and will continue to do so. Many years ago during my first career I worked with FLIR quite a bit on early thermal systems development. Early units required manually adding liquid nitrogen to cool the electronics, and then the uncooled units came along which was a big step forward. Having to deal with liquid nitrogen was a pain in the keester. Thermal cameras were big boxes and mostly used in aircraft systems and labs. Once we started playing with the uncooled units (didnt reqiure adding LN2), I recommended to FLIR that they should look into putting some adjustable crosshairs in the FW/SW and make the cameras smaller for mounting on shooting platforms. They looked at me like I was crazy but we certainly enjoy the portability and rifle scope capabilities now. One of the first advanced uncooled themrals we used cost $60K. Now we can buy outstanding portable thermal scopes for $2-3K

Thanks again,for now the Digex will fill my needs,it's capabilities are minimally 300 yards guessing from what I can see at 200 yards furhtest I've viewed anything. Mine came with the 950 ir,I see no need to get the 850 at this time. great videaos,THX.

Ohio, we will be looking forward to your videos. When you get your setup completed and have time to do so, some hunting videos at 200 and 300 yds. would really be helpful to others. Enjoy your new scope!

Great thread gentlemen. Nice work Burn. I have a brand new digex laying here beside me waiting on a mount to arrive tomorrow ( fingers crossed!) I have watched all your videos burn and have mixed thoughts on the clarity but I know some were with different IRs. I have been using an aftermarket IR with a wraith and the difference is hands down a different world. I hunt in much more open area than it appears you do so distance is a must. I was getting well into the 300 to 400 yard range at seeing animals but not shooting that far. I hope to get mine set up tomorrow and add some videos also.
Everyone stay safe & healthy !!

PS: Burn I think you are RIGHT ON THE MONEY with the searching thermal and ID& Shot NV statement. Jason ( @ outdoor legacy) & I had that talk a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
Burnsome thanks again for the videos. Perfect example of how a good light makes a difference with NV. These IR emitters first made marginal NV usable, they now make good NV better. My take on the videos is both the 4K and the Digex are a step up from my 3 year old Photon based on resolution. The sensor on the Digex does seem a step up on the 4K, but not sure it's worth the extra $$. You've done such a great job, would you mind purchasing the new Wraith 4K and comparing it to the ATN 4K and the Digex
lol.gif

Last edited:
LOL pmack. If somebody wants to send me a Wrath I'll be glad to test side by side with the 4K. I'm sending the Digex back as the 4 power lowest magnification just doesnt work well for me. Personal preference only.

Actually, if somebody would line up all the available digital NV units and take a bunch of comparison videos under the same low light conditions and distances, that would be pretty awesome. It would be a lot of work though!

Looking forward to more videos from you guys that are getting setup with the Digex!

Happy hunting.

Wouldn't happen till I head south ,around here 150 yards is max,most coyotes killed in under 100. But we'll see,looking at a pasture down the road ,I could see llamas perfectly at 300 yards,about the extent of the enclosure.

After using mine a good bit in the month I've had it I am pleased. Just a few small issues. Mine wipes or blurs a good bit when scanning from side to side. Which I was told it WOULDN'T do.
Also mine tends to FLASH alot which gets annoying. Over all though I'm pleased. Love the clarity and the identification ability. I am using an aftermarket IR that I already had. I could never get the stock one sorted out. So i get an extra battery to use for the scope. I have the Odepro light I got off Amazon for around $100 and it is focasable and I like it alot. OH yeah also I have only taken one video with it and never could get it to work after I downloaded it, but Im' not much on the video stuff. So no biggy gonna try again one night I get exited and forget to hit the button !!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

KEEP KNOCK-EN EM DOWN BOYS !!!!

Back