Federal Premium 64 Grain Soft Point Factory Ammo In .223 for Deer?

Fox

I know You can get the 60 Grain Nosler Partition & Bear Claw, but all i could get for White tail is this brand for the time being.
Will this do the job on a white tail?
Please no critisisms, this is my chosen caliber, the .223, for White tails.
Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
I've seen plenty of deer shot with the 223. Put that round in the boiler and you got yourself a DEAD deer. Be reasonable with your range though.

I have used the 64gr. Winchester Power Point handloaded to a muzzle velocity of 2920 FPS from a Ruger .223 on Whitetails. Before I purchased this bullet I did a little research and learned that Winchester developed this bullet for the .223 Remington Cartridge for the specific purpose of hunting Whitetails with the .223. My oldest daughter shot a large Whitetail Doe on year with the above load at a range of over 250 yards. The bullet entered at the last rib and angled forward through the lungs and exited in front of the off side shoulder. No the Deer didn't drop in it tracks, do summersaults or anything like that. What it did do was secumb to one shot out of that little .223.

Yes put it in the right place and it will do fine.

Larry

Last edited:
Winchester 64 grain for my deer hunting 223 dont know why the federal 64 grain wouldnt work but I bet the winny is less expensive

my kids hunt deer with remington 55gr. psp .when they started out heart/lung was the the chosen target.I usually had to do a little trailing.on one really well hit, rather large buck I had to do a lot of trailing.then my 6 year old decided she wanted to shoot one in the neck! where she got that idea I'll never know, at the time I wasn't much for trying to hit one in the neck! anyway she watched lots of deer for a few days straight,then a big 'ol buck came in 115" 5 year old,I told her if you want a neck shot here's your chance! she popped him in the neck he dropped! now all my kids are neck shooters,at least until they move up to a larger caliber and no more trailing for me!

Thanks for the info, very helpfull. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I was out this morn and prooved to myself that it can be done.
A Nice Buck taken with a 64 Grain SP Federal Premium threw the Boiler room.
He walked 20 to 30 yds, then droped dead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
I am one happy man.
Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the info, very helpfull. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I was out this morn and prooved to myself that it can be done.
A Nice Buck taken with a 64 Grain SP Federal Premium threw the Boiler room.
He walked 20 to 30 yds, then droped dead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
I am one happy man.
Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats on a job well done. Yet another case of a careful hunter getting the job done with the tools he had at hand. No the .223 is not for everyone, but if a person has the patients and takes the time to do his / her homework it'll "Get'r Done".

Larry

Thanks guys. I seem to shoot a lot better with the .223 then the havier calibers, as i tend to flinch with the big bores.
I never do this with the .223, i feel very confident and happy shooting it. I have never missed yet, every shot hits its target and knocks them dead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
Fantastic round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back