Ditch the 6.5CM AR10 for a 6.8SPC, 6.5Grendel, or 243LBC?

Imho , it would be foolish for me to debate the "thump"/knockdown-power comparison of an ar15 in either 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 spc , to that of an ar10 in either 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 for that matter.No Einstein here,but those guys in Texas do put the smackdown on the hogs with all the above , with very good results . I see one pretty accomplished hog slayer in particular shoot the snot out of them using his Grendel and the TNT 90 gr `ers .And theres another who loves his ar10 creedmoor ...Both hunt at night/ NV . Personally , I have shot and killed a limited number of hogs for sure. But all died using my ar10 308 , ar10 260 , as well as my ar15 6.8 spc . Presently have an Aero Precision ar15 6.5 grendel build . Have yet made a trip out to hog country with it ,but would not hesitate using it. My Aero build is right at 8 lb`s with scope
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MIvarminter50Imho , it would be foolish for me to debate the "thump"/knockdown-power comparison of an ar15 in either 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 spc , to that of an ar10 in either 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 for that matter.No Einstein here,but those guys in Texas do put the smackdown on the hogs with all the above , with very good results . I see one pretty accomplished hog slayer in particular shoot the snot out of them using his Grendel and the TNT 90 gr `ers .And theres another who loves his ar10 creedmoor ...Both hunt at night/ NV . Personally , I have shot and killed a limited number of hogs for sure. But all died using my ar10 308 , ar10 260 , as well as my ar15 6.8 spc . Presently have an Aero Precision ar15 6.5 grendel build . Have yet made a trip out to hog country with it ,but would not hesitate using it. My Aero build is right at 8 lb`s with scope
wink.gif

I'm sure the 6.5G will work just fine, I've seen lots of guys get their feeling hurt when the hogs run off, they will die after being hit, but unless you can neck shoot them with consistency, you will get run-offs.( i can't seem to hit them on the head/neck every time after they start running like Carpe Sus does..) That's the only point I wanted to make.

If you're shooting on wheat fields, this is a good thing, you don't have to haul them off so the farmer doesn't complain.
wink.gif

And yes, a 8# rifle is much nicer to tote than a 14# one, good luck and post pics!

Bowfisher , thanks for your response . First off , my/response wasnt meant to agree or disagree , but to put claim that either ar 10 or 15 will surely get the mission accomplished
wink.gif
We as members here have read 1,000`s of posts on bullet choice , shot placement , caliber , velocity , practice , ect ect .This is how I feel about hog hunting/eradication ,,,shoot `em hard n shoot `em often .Right up there with `yotes . Crow bait . I do like the smaller size hogs to eat like most . Larger ones not so much.If I sound like an un-ethical hunter , again 1,000`s of posts on that subject here as well. Now Whitetail , Elk , other large game I would grab a large enough gun to minimize runoffs but more important to me , clean and fast kills. Does it always go according to Hoyle ? Nope !
I live in norther Mi , so not an expert on hog hunting , dont even claim to be one on the internet .Shot my share though , and guided between 400-500 clients that have used many calibers of choice.
I made sure they were all dialed in @ our 100 yard range before they went out to hunt. 223/556 most popular , 22-250 , 243 2nd most popular , 25-06 , 308 3rd most popular , 6.5`s , 6.8`s .12 ga /slugs . So I guess at the hunting ranch i guided at for 5 years , the hogs were not huge @ 150 lbs ave. with a good number in the 200 lb range as well .People used what they were "confident" with .Our policy was if you shoot one and draw blood you (owe)$$$ , most were all recovered .If memory serves me, only a few switched to a larger gun .

Originally Posted By: cgbillsOriginally Posted By: 1badsheeIf it were my money I would ditch the Ruger, keep the AR10 and build a 6.8.

Well I did decide to sell the Ruger and keep the AR10. Once I make my thermal purchase, I'll do the AR15 upper. I know 6.8 is great, but the 6mm wildcats seem to keep calling my name cause of flatter trajectories. I need some numbers to put in my ballistics calculator, so I can see if the 6mm's offer any significant advantage 300 yards and in.

Good choice . Sorry did not mean to be a/your thread stopper;)

Yes, types of hunting make a big difference. I was talking about what we do, scanning fields to find groups of hogs, getting the wind on them, getting to 100yds or so and then doing the 3,2,1 countdown and then start shooting.

The first one doesn't get far, the next ones usually run farther, as precise hits aren't as easy now...with a bigger case, knockdown power is enhanced once the pigs are running, that's my only point.

Shooting relatively stationary hogs at a feeder or in a field, the 6.5G works just fine. I will also admit to not trying every 6.5 bullet out there, I know some do better than others.

Back