Bigfoot

Originally Posted By: ADKWhile fishing with my father and uncle on Bulwagga Bay on Lake Champlain we spotted Champ swimming near our boat. That was in 1964 or 65, if my memory serves me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_(folklore)

Link doesn't work...

Thanks GC, I can't copy and paste hyper links for some reason. Anyway,the following is from Wikipedia and the Lake Champlain Heritage Foundation.

The indigenous people that have long lived and hunted near Lake Champlain, the Abenaki and the Iroquois, have their own legends about a large creature inhabiting the lake, which looked like a large, horned serpent or giant snake. The Abenaki term for this creature is Gitaskog. Early in the 18th century, Abenakis warned French explorers about disturbing the waters of the lake, so as not to disturb the serpent. Samuel de Champlain, whom the lake is named after, is often erroneously credited with being the first European to sight Champ, but readings of his accounts show that he saw something near the St. Lawrence River. Nevertheless, his account of his sighting is of interest to anyone with an interest in lake monsters!

Champlain described what he saw like this: ". . . [T]here is also a great abundance of many species of fish. Amongst others there is one called by the natives Chaousarou, which is of various lengths; but the largest of them, as these tribes have told me, are from eight to ten feet long. I have seen some five feet long, which were as big as my thigh, and had a head as large as my two fists, with a snout two feet and a half long, and a double row of very sharp, dangerous teeth. Its body has a good deal the shape of the pike; but it is protected by scales of a silvery gray color and so strong that a dagger could not pierce them."

Historians think Champ is probably a garfish, a class that includes lake sturgeon, which still live in Lake Champlain today. Champlain's description of the creature sounds very much like a garfish, albeit much larger than usual.

https://www.lakechamplainregion.com/heritage/champ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In American folklore, Champ is the name of a lake monster said to live in Lake Champlain, a 125-mile (201 km)-long body of fresh water shared by New York and Vermont, with a portion extending into Quebec, Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_(folklore)

Well GC... some folks think it's a fish. What I saw could have been a very large sturgeon but I'm just not sure. Some swear it's a lake monster along the lines of Louche Ness Monster.
confused.gif

If those people over yonder had any gumption they would hunt that "monster" down and have a fish fry that would feed the entire village. Now THAT would be a tale worth retelling for generations.

That was an old Comedian Norm Crosby one liner that was used in a commercial that always stuck with me... I can't remember where I was last week but I can remember this chit.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONE... I can't remember where I was last week but I can remember this chit.

I know what you mean Grizz.
crazy.gif

I like a show or two about Bigfeets, talking about them also. We even have a local bigfooot legend in WI, which lead to a local beer. The local critter was called ‘The Beast of Bray Road’. I talked to one guy who had a Bigfoot suit on Bray road, his neighbor had & used the same, a suit.

Remember the guy out West, WY, or MT who was killed while running near the highway in a suit, vehicle hit him.

Sadly there is no ‘real’ Bigfoot, there are some believers though.

Come on fella's. I didn't believe in the Easter Bunny when the grand kids were little but I played along. Had a lot of fun doing it. You don't know what you're missing if you haven't taken a couple of 5 year old boys out huntin for Bigfoot just as it's getting dark.
grin.gif

Back