Does adding a second speaker double the sound output or split it in two?

Hellgate

I have an Icotec500 and it has a speaker port for an additional speaker. I like the idea of broadcasting two directions . Am I dividing the output of the caller into the speakers or increasing the total output? I. E. If the original speaker on the caller puts out 100 decibels of sound, is that 100 db now divided into 50 db per speaker or does each speaker produce 100 db ( assuming they are similar volume speakers). Or is the answer in between and dependent on battery strength. The Icotec only uses 4 AA batteries but they seem to last quite a while.

my experience with callers that use 4 batteries is, when using an aux speaker, the volume is less and battery life is much reduced.

callers that use 8 batteries. the volume is not reduced, battery life is somewhat reduced, but not terrible.

just my experience.

STS,
Thanks for checking in on this. When you say volume is less (say the original speaker puts out 100db) does that mean each speaker cranks out less than 100db each but still a total of more than 100db (bleeding battery power) or is it 50 db or less each speaker (

Originally Posted By: Hellgate. if I add an extra speaker and face them both the same direction will I get more total sound out of the two of them than with just the original single speaker?
Yes, but with a FEW CONDITIONS.

The speakers need to be driven in phase.

The amplifier needs to maintain the same voltage across two speakers that it did across one.
This depends on the output amplifier capability and its power source (the batteries).
Its worth a try, but recognize the batteries will sag under load more and drain quicker.

I have no idea if the speakers would be in phase of not. I would hope that the addition of an accessory speaker port might have the speakers in phase but I don't even know what "in phase" even means. You're talking to a Neanderthal here.

take away is:
Its worth a try, but recognize the batteries will sag under load more (reduce max power of the amplifier) and drain quicker.

I would ask Icotec, but from my experience with it is that it will keep the volume roughly the same output, you just have another channel. Which will reduce the battery power some but from comparing it to a foxpro banshee and flx500. The Icotec battery life is WAY better (I'm aware its not quite as loud). When the sound is not playing (icotec) the amplifier is off where as the others or at least foxpro you are just muting the sound but still pulling the power from the amp.

If you are semi electronically savvy I would recommend replacing the speaker with more efficient and better frequency range one similar to the TOA 610 or Speco spc12 (or something comparable). At 1 meter I gained somewhere around 6dB I believe, and had better low and high range.

Originally Posted By: ShortStackWhen the sound is not playing (icotec) the amplifier is off where as the others or at least foxpro you are just muting the sound but still pulling the power from the amp.

not sure that is correct. lol

I know I tried adding a speaker to a 4 battery Foxpro, even put a radio shack amp in between, but it sounded, um, not great, and I don't remember calling anything with it like that. IMO, if you need 2 directions, or more volume, it's time to bite the bullet and upgrade. You'll be glad you did in the long run instead of spending money on stuff that don't work.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ShortStackWhen the sound is not playing (icotec) the amplifier is off where as the others or at least foxpro you are just muting the sound but still pulling the power from the amp.

not sure that is correct. lol
What are you not sure is correct? The Icotec turning off the amp? Icotec told me their amp turns off when the sound is not playing.

I accidentally left my hellfire caller turned on, for about 10hrs, batteries were completely dead when I went to use it.

Now my Icotec, while using it for deer hunting, had my caller on during the sunlight hunting in December in OK.
After using it for 2 days, on all day while playing sounds every 30-45 mins for about 5 mins at a time. The batteries weren't even half drained.
Having that information leads me to believe my original statement is correct or else the foxpro would have had battery life left when I accidentally left it on.
thumbup.gif

I have a GC500 and an external speaker and it only plays out of the speaker and not the caller. I did call Icotec to see if this was correct and if I remember correctly,I think they said that the caller was not supposed to put out sound if an external is plugged in. That was about 2yrs ago.

I emailed Icotec and got this:

Tye,

Both speakers receive full power from the amp, if the external speaker is a paging style such as the one we sell, it will be louder due to it having the capability over the installed cone speaker.

Thank You

JD Piatt

Back