Calving season coyotes.

DVXDUDE

A neighbour texted me at 930am a week ago saying he has 5 coyotes in his field with the cattle while hes looking for new calves. Of course I'm at work(never happens when im around) so I couldn't go. After work I arrived at 6pm and made my way half way back to a tree line that gives the best vantage point to the bush.

Playing calf bawls on my foxpro brought all the cows over which was a stupid move I realised after the fact as they almost went threw the fence but they calmed down and when I looked back towards the bush there is 3 coyotes standing there looking at the cows. They start to work closer at 50 yards I dropped the farthest one. Foxbang pup distress goes off and both coyotes stop, So I shoot another, then the 3rd takes off and I rolled him right before he hit the bush(100yards or so). I look up and there's a 4th one standing about 200 yards away down the tree line. Shoot and watched that one drop on the spot. (Cattle stampeding back to the barn now made this one stop)

Now its dark so I couldn't find the 3rd and 4th one I shot. Texted the farmer and his son found the 3rd one the next morning from following blood in the bush, I must have hit him but he just jumped sideways instead of going down like I first thought.

The next night I watched a coyote at 500 yards while it sat and watched the farmer feed bails in the feild. Didnt get a shot. Found the 4th one as crows showed me where on it, At least 50 yards farther than where I thought I shot.

Day after that I get there at 7pm and I just sat down and was watching the cattle for any new calfs and I see a coyote standing there in the middle of the field looking my way. 225 yards he dropped on the spot.

Farmer is happy it's just too bad hides are rubbed real bad. No post worthy pics of the other two found next day unfortunately
vb5i4yv.jpg

iPlx6pN.jpg

Few days later after a big storm I seen 2 at daylight, They heard me driving down the laneway breaking ice in the truck because they were lookin my way when I left the barn.. I snuck up to the old snowblower and got a shot at the closest one. Heard a yelp and seen 3 coyotes take off!!

Ran 50 yards to get a better look and seen two coyotes come out the other side of the ravine. The one I shot only went 30 yards and piled up. I left that one there and went and sat in my usual spot. At 730 I heard a few howling to the north so I answered on my hand calls. 10minutes goes by and I seen a coyote 500 yards away going downwind, No shot.

An hour later I look back and theres a coyote standing 50 feet from the dead one. Shoot it and he went down in a heap. This coyote came from across the road and was standing completely downwind of me but he was also downwind of the dead coyote so he didnt smell me.

217 yard shot on the first, 256 yard on the second.

-20 that morning definitely had them out moving. That's #6 n #7 for the week.

93g6BwU.jpg
3StD9wX.jpg
3Ly1gil.jpg

Lots of coyotes! They will repopulate and you should be set for next year at this location?
Sharp looking rifle and the Vortex on to top it off!

Rudy

nice job. That'll keep the door open to ya for many years to come. As much as I hate killing coyotes this time of year do to the fur not being any good, when a rancher calls with problems, I don't hesitate to go. I man has go to do what he's got to do...

Hello DVXDUDE, we hope that our hunter friend 6mm06 (David) will heal well with the operation and come back soon to write us in this forum. Here in Italy we are in the trenches, in war against the coronavirus (10779 deaths...). Just to somehow spend this isolation that never seems to end, I ask you some details about your beautiful coyotes hunting report. From the photos I saw that it's cold from you and there is still snow ... The rifle (Remington?) Is really very nice with the fluted barrel in stainless steel (maybe varmint?). I noticed that it is not threaded ... so you don't use a suppressor .. How long is it? What diameter does it have in the end? What is the caliber? Maybe 308W? What ammo do you use? I would also like to buy a Vortex riflescope similar to yours, by chance, is it a 3-12x56 with illuminated reticle? Last question: if you hunted in the dark, what night device did you mount on the Vortex? I thank you in advance for the patience you will have to answer me. Try to understand me, it is very hard not to be able to leave home for many days ....

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

This farm is just down the road from my uncles so I can pretty much hunt every property here from road to the next road. We hunt coyotes pretty hard here all winter, Run hounds when we can but this winter has been terrible for running so we didnt get out as much. We killed 40+ coyotes now in this 5mile by 5mile block but there is so much unhuntableand near by the coyotes are never ending.

Deer have been yarded up not far away so I think the coyotes are pressuring the deer pretty hard the last month. I think I've killed all the dumb coyotes now as havnt had a sighting in a week now.

I'm in Canada and my rifle is a Sako 85 stainless, Fluted,laminate, varmint barrel in .22 250. Has Sako set trigger as well.

Suppessors are illegal in Canada, Only gangbangers and mafia can own suppessors. No night hunting either.

Scope is a 4-16x42mm Vortex Diamondback HP. I like the bullet drop reticule, Its pretty close with 50g ammo.

Back