Sage Rat Report from Oregon and N Nevada

Crowbar

Despite the current challenges, we made the long trip to meet my kid brother in Winnemucca. The plan was to shoot sage rats along the way in central OR and again in NV near Paradise valley although we did not expect much as its early for the rats. Got v lucky with weather! Oregon near Christmas Valley it had been warmer and sunny. Two of us shot roughly 250 rnds total of 17HMR from 2-6PM. Not hot but a decent shoot with steady action in the alfalfa fields. Shots ranged from 70 yds to way out so we used the 17's. One a Savage B17 suppressed, the a Savage 93 bull...both with Bushnell 3-12 rimfire scopes. Did not uncase the 204R.
Then on to NV and got lucky again ... 60 degrees and good action in those alfalfa fields also. This time the shooting was mostly inside 50yds ... so we shot a pair of 10/22's. Great fun ... some shooting was self defense. Went thru about 250 again in 4 hrs.
Next day same fields with my brother shooting a custom suppressed Buckmark, an A17 and grandfathers Rem model 12 pump 22. Despite the 20-25 mph wind the rats gave us steady action. Shot approx 300 rnd between the 3 of us. Mostly using the 17's because of the wind. Great fun , lots of laughs and good shooting. The NV rats were 25% bigger than the OR cousins ... not sure why but we dealt with it. Lots of miles and unexpected action with friend and brother. A great outdoor adventure for sure. If I knew how to post pics ... I would.
PS ... forgot to mention the coyote we spotted in NV from the road. Pulled over, pulled out the 204 turned down a side road and as luck would have it, he crossed our path and stopped. That never happens...right? He paid the price.

Last edited:
Very nice! Did you run into any issues with any of the state patrol in NV? I have heard reports of the MT state patrol pulling over people from other states and issuing tickets.

It would be a constitutional violation for le to target(ticket or force to turn around) vehicles based only on a out of state license. That would be an assumption that the occupants had the virus. Early in April a few states were stopping out of state vehicles and asking for an address where the occupants could "self-quarantine".

I have heard reports of the MT state patrol pulling over people from other states and issuing tickets. [/quote]

A friend of mine is Highway patrol here in MT and doesn't know anything about it.

Originally Posted By: wicka I have heard reports of the MT state patrol pulling over people from other states and issuing tickets.

A friend of mine is Highway patrol here in MT and doesn't know anything about it. [/quote]

This is what I heard from a friend, who was pulled over in the Dillon, MT area.

I could see them ask, but what are the going to ticket you for?
I don’t think it would fly in court, but I am no law buff either.

Back