Watch Your Six: Hogster Video

Kirsch

This was the 2nd to last night hunt of the year for me. This was during the Super Moon phase in March. I wasn't able to start hunting until 11PM. I had blanked the first couple of stands and it was already 2:30 AM. The conditions were mild and the wind was light. I knew this was one of my last hunts, so I decided to continue hunting. I had to be back on the road at around 5:30AM so figured I could get 3 more stands in.

The next 3 stands resulted in a double, a triple, and a single. The single is the last stand on the video. I had 6 coyotes coming full blast at me, and they hung up on me twice. I believe they hit their territory boundary and no matter what I threw at them, they would only come so far. I called 3 back a 2nd time, and pulled them about 100 yards closer to at least get one of them.

The Hogster-R 35mm is a really nice weapon's sight. I put the scope back on my AR for this night hunt, and took a test shot, and it was right where it was supposed to be, so no adjustments necessary.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorThat 3 legged one had no problems getting. Sure could move fast after it was shot. Thanks for sharing. It made it right to the top of the hill, where the video loses it.

Just got my R35 and although not hunting lately took it out and compared it to my Trail XP50 LRF with the newest down loaded image boost. The Trail is excellent but that being said the R35 is VERY VERY good. Now I see how you could make that 400 yd. shot. Through the lens image is a little better than Kirch's recordings. Plan on posting my review by itself soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gunslinger81That video is great. Almost makes me want to sell my RQX30v. Looks like it may be a slight upgrade. Wonder how it compares I have looked through a Pulsar RXQ30 but not at the same time as the Hogster. Over the years, it seems like most people like the RXQ30. The brief time I was able to look through one, my impressions were the image was just OK.

The RXQ30 is often compared to the Flir PTS233. The PTS233 is a thermal I have a lot of experience with. I can tell you hands down, the Hogster-R 35 has a better image than the PTS233. The higher the humidity, the bigger the difference. Due to this, I am going to say I would anticipate the Hogster being a step up. On this thread alone, you have one person comparing it to a 9K Trijicon and another comparing it to a 5K Pulsar XP50 and both are saying, the Hogster isn't that far off from an image standpoint.

I don't believe I have read any threads saying the RXQ30 is close in image to either scope. The RXQ30 was/is a decent scope for the money but I would pick the Hogster if I had the additional money.

Back