The Panic!!!

The Panic is full on now. I have a bit of powder and brass. Enough to last a couple years for each Cal that I load depending how much I shoot. I have a lot of one pound cans where I tried a pound here and there but went back to whatever. I have enough large rifle primers to last a while since I don't shoot those a whole lot. Small rifle primers are another story. I have a brick and a half of 41s and can't find any more. I shoot the ARs a lot. Ive never reloaded for my 9 or 380 due to it being so cheap and me not shooting them enough to make up any difference.
I was looking online at supplies and it's all wiped out and what is left is going fast.
Hopefully it doesn't last until after the election. And even then, depending who is elected it could get really bad. Good luck to everybody

I went to 2 different stores again today.

Both had quite a few reloading supplies, it was picked through but I left with a pound of H4895 and 100 103eldx.

All 223 and 9mm ammo was gone but there was plenty of everything else including 22lr.

Everyone needs to calm down.

I just put an order in at Grafs, 45gr Sp's for $9.and change/100 they'll work well for foraging loads over 800X in my 222 Rem's. A couple of Magpul mags for my AR, I have uppers in 20 Pract. and 223 and both are sighted in, tan mags for the 20P black mags for the 223. Plus I have everything to load(shotgun and rifle) what I need for a couple years at least.

Taking a page out of the WW-II game book I've been putting a Victory Garden just some basics that can easily. I have jars and pressure canner from my subsistence days. I'm wondering how Jack rabbit will can up, I used to do ducks, geese and stuff from the trapline.

I went out to my new fur shed and unpacked some of my gear and sorted it out. I have about a hundred light snares that will work for rabbits and another 100 that I can use for coyotes and raccoon(these are good eating), plus 5 dz 1 3/4's and 2's coil springs and another 2 dz of #4 coils.

You don't need reloading stuff wen you can string steel.

See you on the other side of this.

All local stores are closed here. I can't find any Powders that I use on the net. Natchez had some but they want $20 for their hazmat fee and $16 for FedEx's hazmat fee. So $36 for shipping!! Needless to say that I didn't buy anything

Loaded 300 rds of 3006 with odds and ends of powder on hand, and got a bunch of old military in stripper clips I'll pull the bullets on, kill the primers, then reload fresh. Most of my other stuff was loaded up during winter nights. Got firewood cut up to 2022. Just keeping busy while we wait this out. I don't think this will last long enough to get hungry.

Originally Posted By: AWSI just put an order in at Grafs, 45gr Sp's for $9.and change/100 they'll work well for foraging loads over 800X in my 222 Rem's. A couple of Magpul mags for my AR, I have uppers in 20 Pract. and 223 and both are sighted in, tan mags for the 20P black mags for the 223. Plus I have everything to load(shotgun and rifle) what I need for a couple years at least.

Taking a page out of the WW-II game book I've been putting a Victory Garden just some basics that can easily. I have jars and pressure canner from my subsistence days. I'm wondering how Jack rabbit will can up, I used to do ducks, geese and stuff from the trapline.

I went out to my new fur shed and unpacked some of my gear and sorted it out. I have about a hundred light snares that will work for rabbits and another 100 that I can use for coyotes and raccoon(these are good eating), plus 5 dz 1 3/4's and 2's coil springs and another 2 dz of #4 coils.

You don't need reloading stuff wen you can string steel.

See you on the other side of this.

Does NM still allow trapping?

Yes they still allow trapping, if it didn't and this gets bad enough a silly ban on trapping would be the last of my worries.

Most critters are pretty good eating. We always saved the hind legs from muskrats, much like rabbit, very mild, we stewed them with onions and served them with dumplings and sweet/sour red cabbage. Raccoon got roasted like a turkey. Beaver is very much like beef and we made stew and jerkey from the meat and the livers were delicious, when we spent time out on the trapline living in tents for a month, beaver liver and onions were breakfast fare, beaver jerkey went in the pack to snack on on the line and beaver stew made with dried veggies(from the summer garden) for dinner along with frying pan biscuts.

I grew up supplying the house with rabbits and squirrels to supplement the larder at home. I ran rabbit snares all over the neighborhood, dad paid me a nickel a rabbit which kept me in 22LR shells. It was cold where we lived and I'd just hang them on the clothes pole until needed.

I have recipes from the depression era for skunk and possum and I hear armadillo is fair eating, I've eaten bobcat, mountain lion, snake, snapping turtle(never passed one up) and alligator. I would have to be pretty desperate for coyote, what I have eaten has tasted much like what they smell like. I've eaten domestic dog while in china. I think if I was meticulous trimming the meat off a coyote and using it with plenty of chilies and barbeque sauce it might be edible if needed.

Surprising everything that is really good in the wild. Cattails when they first come in the spring, the shoots before they emerge from the water taste much like asparagus. Up in MN and WI we used to pick wild asparagus in the spring and hike the RR tracks for mushrooms.

I regularly use prickly pear paddles to cook up here at the house.

I understand that mesquite beans will make up into a decent flour.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSMost critters are pretty good eating. We always saved the hind legs from muskrats, much like rabbit, very mild, we stewed them with onions and served them with dumplings and sweet/sour red cabbage. Raccoon got roasted like a turkey. Beaver is very much like beef and we made stew and jerkey from the meat and the livers were delicious, when we spent time out on the trapline living in tents for a month, beaver liver and onions were breakfast fare, beaver jerkey went in the pack to snack on on the line and beaver stew made with dried veggies(from the summer garden) for dinner along with frying pan biscuts.

I grew up supplying the house with rabbits and squirrels to supplement the larder at home. I ran rabbit snares all over the neighborhood, dad paid me a nickel a rabbit which kept me in 22LR shells. It was cold where we lived and I'd just hang them on the clothes pole until needed.

I have recipes from the depression era for skunk and possum and I hear armadillo is fair eating, I've eaten bobcat, mountain lion, snake, snapping turtle(never passed one up) and alligator. I would have to be pretty desperate for coyote, what I have eaten has tasted much like what they smell like. I've eaten domestic dog while in china. I think if I was meticulous trimming the meat off a coyote and using it with plenty of chilies and barbeque sauce it might be edible if needed.

Surprising everything that is really good in the wild. Cattails when they first come in the spring, the shoots before they emerge from the water taste much like asparagus. Up in MN and WI we used to pick wild asparagus in the spring and hike the RR tracks for mushrooms.

I regularly use prickly pear paddles to cook up here at the house.

I understand that mesquite beans will make up into a decent flour.

After Marine Corps survival training (some might think that’s the mess hall) plus living in Central Africa I have learned you can eat almost anything but. Thought Armadillo was a no no as they are a natural carrier of rabies, correct me if wrong

They may carry rabies, too, not sure, but they do carry leprosy.

Before I learned that, one Sunday I shot one with S&W Chief's Special while deer hunting on post and, living off post, decided to try to cook it. Long story short I couldn't find the zipper, remembered our mess Sgt. was raised on a TX ranch and carried it in to ask if he knew how to field dress.

He said, "Just leave it with me, I'll clean and cook it and you can try it tomorrow @ lunch." Great!

Lunch time came, I asked about the armadillo and he replied, "SHHHHHHHH! glancing around the room." Told me that the armadillo was roasting in the oven when the inspector walked in. When he opened the oven the armadillo was revealed lying belly up. The inspector was not impressed, asked, "Sgt., what in the he!! is this!?" Pete replied, "Armadillo, sir" and, after a pretty severe tongue lashing was told to get it out of the mess hall.

I was disappointed that I would not get to try armadillo, when Pete glanced around the room one more time, then lifted one entree off the steam table and retrieved the armadillo underneath.

Oh, it was a bit dry from the warming table, but tasted a lot like pork.
cool.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Coyote-conquestThe Panic is full on now. I have a bit of powder and brass. Enough to last a couple years for each Cal that I load depending how much I shoot. I have a lot of one pound cans where I tried a pound here and there but went back to whatever. I have enough large rifle primers to last a while since I don't shoot those a whole lot. Small rifle primers are another story. I have a brick and a half of 41s and can't find any more. I shoot the ARs a lot. Ive never reloaded for my 9 or 380 due to it being so cheap and me not shooting them enough to make up any difference.
I was looking online at supplies and it's all wiped out and what is left is going fast.
Hopefully it doesn't last until after the election. And even then, depending who is elected it could get really bad. Good luck to everybody

Check your PM's

Originally Posted By: ackleymanArmadillo dipped in butter I bet would be very good!

I'd have to be pretty F'ing hungry to try that. If you take out the armadillo...where's the straw!

Back