260AI, Cream of Wheat, CFE pistol fire forming.

Rock Knocker

I've got some new 260 brass and I need it fire formed. My original plan was to load up some target ammo with a box of old 140 Amax bullets i had laying around but now i cant find my box of Amax, they're somewhere in my storage unit.

So I figured I should try the cream of wheat method, I see almost everyone recommends Unique for fire forming but I've got almost a pound of CFE pistol I would like to make work.

I've also heard of some people not using the cream of wheat at all, just a stiffer pistol powder charge and a wad of TP or cotton ball, I would be interested in a method like that that would keep cerial out of my gun also.

What are your thoughts?

How about paraffin wax? Just cut to 1/4" thick and press into into case mouth.
Disclaimer: i have never done this for fire forming. I have done this with primer only for shooting in my garage.

I use a charge of Bullseye, 1/4 sheet of TP on top of the powder, corn meal and then a paraffin plug. For blowing out 6 PPC I was using 12 grains of BE. I've never used a rifle powder without a bullet.

Greg

What pistol powder charges are you using? CFE Pistol is a bit slower burning than many pistol powders, for 260 I've seen between 9gr and 15gr of Unique. I'm not sure where to start, at least I can make some small test loads and shoot them out the front door without looking like too much of a maniac.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerUnknown powder data, hot cerial, pistol powder in a rifle... I'm loading a couple now and this seems crazy.

I got my info to start from the Sharpe book written in the 40/50's. I actually had a long PPC chamber, long story, and did a test starting at 9 grains up to 13 with the BE on mine. I had a bunch of cases to form..LOL

I did some 358 Norma Mag with 15 grains of Unique years ago but that was really unneeded as I should have just necked them up. That was way back in my loading infancy in the 80's..LOL

Greg

Hows the burn rate on cfe compared to BE?

With no bullet, i wouldn't be to worried.(im just guessing)
With a slower burning powder, you may not get the pressure spike needed to fully form your cases.(guessing again)

13gr cfe pistol and full to the neck with corn meal is giving me a pretty good fire form. I might go up to 14gr. The primers are coming out of the pockets a little, a false shoulder would be nice but the higher pistol powder charges actually keep the primer in better.

Back