What gives off more glow??

Mr. Pop, with my illuminator the 850 gives more glow. I did a little visual testing up to 100 yards with both 850 and 940nm, to determine if I could see a glow. The 850 could be seen all the way to 100 yards, though the glow was not intense. The 940 was seen out to about 70 yards or so. After that distance I could not see any glow at all. Just keep in mind to not stare at the light source if you conduct tests yourself. I would quickly glance at the source then shield my eyes. Those lights give off a tremendous amount of light that can be damaging if looked into them for any length of time.

One thing that surprises me however, is that my large 940nm spotlight that has 198 LED’s has no glow at all, even from 25 yards and closer. I have it mounted on a tall 4x4 post that is 25 yards from my coyote bait site. I deploy it remotely on and off when something is at the bait site, allowing me to look with both rifle scope and camera / monitor to determine what is there. It is pure stealth. I only wish my weapon mounted IR light was as stealthy.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Mr. Pop, with my illuminator the 850 gives more glow. I did a little visual testing up to 100 yards with both 850 and 940nm, to determine if I could see a glow. The 850 could be seen all the way to 100 yards, though the glow was not intense. The 940 was seen out to about 70 yards or so. After that distance I could not see any glow at all. Just keep in mind to not stare at the light source if you conduct tests yourself. I would quickly glance at the source then shield my eyes. Those lights give off a tremendous amount of light that can be damaging if looked into them for any length of time.

One thing that surprises me however, is that my large 940nm spotlight that has 198 LED’s has no glow at all, even from 25 yards and closer. I have it mounted on a tall 4x4 post that is 25 yards from my coyote bait site. I deploy it remotely on and off when something is at the bait site, allowing me to look with both rifle scope and camera / monitor to determine what is there. It is pure stealth. I only wish my weapon mounted IR light was as stealthy.

Thank you much Dave!!!

IR950 no glow ok!
But is IR850 or IR950 better as infrared lighting power? What is the maximum night vision distance of coyotes with IR850 versus IR950?

Ernest, 850 is better for good light. The 940 gives off considerably less light thereby lessening range. I haven’t done any extensive testing with either light, but I can see very well with the 850 at 160 yards from my hunting shack which is the greatest distance I have available due to terrain. The 940 is OK around 50-60 yards and somewhat further, maybe 100 yards but that is stretching it for the light I have.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Ernest, 850 is better for good light. The 940 gives off considerably less light thereby lessening range. I haven’t done any extensive testing with either light, but I can see very well with the 850 at 160 yards from my hunting shack which is the greatest distance I have available due to terrain. The 940 is OK around 50-60 yards and somewhat further, maybe 100 yards but that is stretching it for the light I have.

This^

All based on power and device used to see the IR. We get approx. 100 yards with our Torch with 940 and 850 around 250+ with some test pills. One thing to remember with modern Gen 3 devices, after 880nm they drop off like a rock.

Back