newbie here, looking for electronic Call options....

stef

Hi. I'm an older guy now looking to go hunting Coyotes, once a year, maybe twice. (what else to do with this corona virus...) maybe more often if I like it...
We deer hunt on a rented property. Very Very dense tree cover. no shots over 50 yards most of the time (Quebec, Canada)
But... there's a large frozen beaver pond at he end of the land. I would say easily 500 yards x 150 y wide
Now I have zero experience with Coyote hunting...
my intention is to put a electronic moving decoy in the middle of the lake, next to a loud speaker call, and wait, and screening the edge of the wood for coyotes...
what do you recommend for a guy like me ? something that wont' brake the bank too much, but won't be a piece of crap also.....
-Would you pair the electronic call with a mouth call ?
-Would you set the decoy in the middle of the lake?
Thanks for your help ?
Stef

Welcome to the insanity. I wish I could make suggestions but I dont call them. I bait them and only hunt at night.

There are some very knowledgeable folks that I'm sure will chime in soon and give you some suggestions.

All I can say is get out there and try coyote hunting and learn something new every single time...I sure do.

Get some handcalls, wind often dictates where you sit or put a call or decoy which can be controversial as to effectiveness.
Try some reputable coyote hunting DVD's and save some frustration.

Welcome to the addiction and sometimes madness, I use e-caller and mouth calls, FoxPro has some great e-calls at good prices and some have decoys that attach to them there are other makes that work great too. Your setup is more important at least I think it is, try to keep the wind in or crossing you and make sure you can see some or all of your downwind area.

Most e-calls will work for calling coyotes. I bought a cheap Johnny Sterwart and it worked fine, I have a couple 20 yr old Minaskas and they call coyotes plus I have a couple modern Foxpros that work well also.

I think 90% of coyote calling is stand selection and management, any decent sound will call coyotes, some days they respond to one, the next it might be another.

A $89 dollar JS
JZ51KG.jpg

My old Minaska
UmGSI4.jpg

You don't need 20 different rabbit sounds if your only going to hunt a few times a year.

A call with a remote will give a newbie a little advantage as it will focus the coyotes toward the sound and allow a mistak where if they are focused on a caller with a hand call you don't get any mistakes, you have to juggle rifle and call. Then a hand calling can be indespensible as you can make sounds that no others are using and the batteries never run out.

Good hunting

Last edited:
I agree with AWS, most of your success in calling in a coyote has already been determined before you start calling. Stand selection and your approach to the stand are more important than the call you use. Set up in a spot coyotes are willing to travel to, the area has coyotes, you can see their approach and the don’t hear, see or smell you before and during the calling.

There are many good calls out there and a cheap one will work. Hand calls are also cheap and are a good option.

thank you very much for your help guys.

I'm now considering the johnny Stewart why? because it's that one that this guys on Predator Quest use on TV.... it should be good enough for me if it's good for him....

if I get to live another fall, then I will get it.

thanks again for your help. Greatly appreciated.

stef

Last edited:
Kinda hard to have a mouth call and a ecaller. A mouth call and they know exactly where you are sitting and will never show.

Get a cheap ecaller with a decent remote, put it upwind of where you sit and where you can see it and wait.

Keep the wind in your face or into the front of your shoulders (Crosswind)

If nothing comes in before dark they busted you!

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisKinda hard to have a mouth call and a ecaller. A mouth call and they know exactly where you are sitting and will never show.

Get a cheap ecaller with a decent remote, put it upwind of where you sit and where you can see it and wait.

Have you never called a coyote with mouth calls?!?! I guess all the mouth call makers are just making them for show?!

Originally Posted By: stefthank you very much for your help guys.

I'm now considering the johnny Stewart why? because it's that one that this guys on Predator Quest use on TV.... it should be good enough for me if it's good for him....

if I get to live another fall, then I will get it.

thanks again for your help. Greatly appreciated.

stef

I've seen a lot of tv shows that use all sorts of different ecallers. So if thats your deciding factor, you better get at least 1 of every brand.

AWS said"I think 90% of coyote calling is stand selection and management, any decent sound will call coyotes, some days they respond to one, the next it might be another."

I agree with both comments.

With calls, the difference in sound produced by wood vs. acrylic vs. plastic calls makes a difference to the coyote. Some days wood produces better than acrylic and some days it doesn't.

If you duck hunt, chances are, you have more than one call on your lanyard, for the same reason I have more than one Cottontail/Jackrabbit call with me. Somedays, the different tone works better.

I have found the same holds true for everything I call and hunt. A box call works on today's Tom, while tomorrow the same bird responds to slate/glass/aluminum. Same thing with Elk.

Many years ago, I tried changing calls when I saw a coyote coming in, just to see what happens.If I started him coming in with my old Weems cottontail, and he stopped, I could start him coming in again with a Primos Jackrabbit, or a K'meerdeer Fawn Distress. I've tried this enough times that I am convinced it is not a flukey thing.

It seems that, once the coyote starts to come in, changing calls doesn't matter. However, starting that coyote to come in, the call does matter.

One time, calling a large, flat area, I started with the Weems Cottontail, and after about 10 minutes, nothing to be seen. So, I started with my Sceery Cottontail, and within seconds, I had a coyote stand up about 300yds out, and she started coming my way. I know she heard the Weems, but it did not even get her to sit up and look.

Sorry for the long post.

Originally Posted By: mhammerOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisKinda hard to have a mouth call and a ecaller. A mouth call and they know exactly where you are sitting and will never show.

Have you never called a coyote with mouth calls?!?! I guess all the mouth call makers are just making them for show?!

I am still working on my first called in Coyote!

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: mhammerOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisKinda hard to have a mouth call and a ecaller. A mouth call and they know exactly where you are sitting and will never show.

I am still working on my first called in Coyote!

I'm still confused by your terrible advice. Good luck with that first called coyote.

my intention is to put a electronic moving decoy in the middle of the lake, next to a loud speaker call, and wait, and screening the edge of the wood for coyotes...

What i was trying to say is this -

If you have an ecaller with remote put the ecaller in an area where you can clearly see it and anything in close proximity. (The middle of a frozen lake) If you are blowing on a hand call in the trees surrounding the lake - They know exactly where you are sitting.

I don't put my ecaller 50 yards away then blow on a hand call. I use the ecaller because it takes the attention off of me versus blowing on a hand call. Coyotes can come from over a mile away and they will know exactly where the sound is coming from.

Rarely do i use a hand call and ecaller in combination when i have 5 ecaller with 1,000’s of sounds at my disposal.

I apologize for the confusion and best of luck to you Sir!

Personally I don't think the OP will have much results putting the e-call in the middle of the frozen lake unless he has scouted it and knows that coyotes are willing to cross that open expanse. If there are tracks and trails crossing the lake then it might very well work provided those are made during the daytime, but the idea is to get them to go where they are more comfortable in exposing themselves. Now if calling at night that would be a perfect place as they will act totally different in the dark.

I often use a handcall with my e-call, especially I like to make an initial howl or even 2 or 3 with the handcall. Then when I go to howls on the e-call it lets the listening coyotes know that this coyote has moved making it more realistic in my mind.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpPersonally I don't think the OP will have much results putting the e-call in the middle of the frozen lake unless he has scouted it and knows that coyotes are willing to cross that open expanse. If there are tracks and trails crossing the lake then it might very well work provided those are made during the daytime, but the idea is to get them to go are they more comfortable in exposing themselves. Now if calling at night that would be a perfect place as they will act totally different in the dark.

I often use a handcall with my e-call, especially I like to make an initial howl or even 2 or 3 with the handcall. Then when I go to howls on the e-call it lets the listening coyotes know that this coyote has moved making it more realistic in my mind.

I do not disagree at all! Good advice as well;-)

That sounds a little better Mr Pop. The premise that a coyote won't come to a hand call is still absurd to me. I would love to know how many coyotes have fallen to hand calls. I bet it would be astonishing. Don't give up, you will get one some day!

Originally Posted By: mhammerThat sounds a little better Mr Pop. The premise that a coyote won't come to a hand call is still absurd to me. I would love to know how many coyotes have fallen to hand calls. I bet it would be astonishing. Don't give up, you will get one some day!

I have never said a Coyote will not come into a hand call. Back in the day my Circe was the only call i owned. Good for Coyotes and Foxes.

I think i confused you, i don’t normally use a hand distress call when i have an e-caller 50 yards away. Sorry for the confusion!

Best of luck Sir!

Back