Simple coyote/predator drag

AWS

Retired PM Staff
This came up in another thread and I thought I'd post it here for everyone.

Materials:

Some type of cord, I get at Homedepot, just a little heavier than paracord.

Handle material, I like 3/4" PVC Conduit but have used 1" dowel, conduit is easier to make.

Optional clear nail polish dabbed on the knots makes them not unravel.

I use 10-12 feet of cord I want the cord long enough that I can tie it around my waist and the coyote/fox won't drag on my ski tails or for multiple coyotes(I've drug up to three out at the same time). I use these for skinning in the field also, loop the cord around a hind foot, throw the handle over a branch and hoist the critter up and tie off.

Drill a hole in the handle just slightly larger than the cord. Push the cord through and tie a double wrap granny knot to make a fat knot that won't pull back through. Make a bowline loop in the other end. You have a drag.

fVskWU.jpg

8Dn9T0.jpg

LgWFuy.jpg

In use note red wood handle by his belly.

xFZQnM.jpg

X5aAGk.jpg

I make a loop and put it around the upper jaw and then a half hitch around the lower jaw that way they will slide right through the brush without hanging up. for multiple critters just make another loop about three feet up the cord that way the critters will follow one in front of the other.

Just wrap the cord around the handle and put it in your pocket. I have one in each of my scabbards and in my caller bags.

Last edited:
I use a heavy duty feed bag and put coyote or coyotes inside. Tie it shut and drag it. Saves on fur wear. I can carry it and not worry about blood or fleas. Rudy

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaI use a heavy duty feed bag and put coyote or coyotes inside. Tie it shut and drag it. Saves on fur wear. I can carry it and not worry about blood or fleas. Rudy

I like the bag idea but the drag also. I already have made several drags out of deer antler and para cord with steel rings. I think I'll grab a couple of feed bags put the coyote(s) in along with flea powder and use the drag to pull out the bag. My pack is already heavy enough. Hate to put more weight on my back. Thanks for the ideas.

I hace the same drag as picture for a lot of years. Nice in snow country. Coyotes drag very easy and the drag fits in a pocket with only ounces.

I use a 1" wood dowel about 2 1/2" wider than my mittened hand. Drill a hole about 3/4-1" from each end. Soft woven rope(1/4-5/16) threaded through holes with slip loop on each end(top jaw behind canines or opposite front/rear legs for carry). Mine is long enough for a double wearing snowshoes. For a single I pull extra from between the handle holes,tie a single overhand. I can pull using handle, handle in front of shoulder, or across the chest. Wood keeps my hand from getting cold. Fits in pants cargo pocket or hoodie pouch.

I’ve used basically the same style drag for deer for years. Only difference is I use a dog lead style clip at the end. Just clip it back to the rope and it’ll slide snug around the deer, or whatever, being drug out. Works well.

I like that idea.I bet a fish stringer with the metal ring on one end would work good also..I have a few of them laying around also..

Back