Bullet to lands distance-AR??

Put simply every one is different from chamber to chamber and bullet to bullet. I've had good luck with many at 0.005 to 0.010 off but then I also have some that love the jump of 0.030 and more. I've also had them that like being jammed in the lands by 0.005.. It's a puzzle that you will have to put together for yourself.

Greg

22C,

Are you shooting Sierra 80's or something else? If you are shooting 80's, you will have pretty good luck between kissing and 10 thou out.

Thanks. I know every gun/guy is different just needed to know where to start.. Have a threaded case son made and will measure, if my record dont already show bullet length data.
Loading 87 gr Speers and 100 gr Hornadys for a 25/45 sharps.

I load mine at .020 off and have shot some pretty tight groups with doing so. First time i tested the length I shot .3” 100 yard groups with two different loads with my BCA 243 upper. Would have like to seen tighter but figured I was on the right track. I want it far enough off for reliable cycling, I read .200 to .040 was recommended on most forums when I crossed the same bridge last year. I think the biggest reason that most don’t load them closer is because once you start firing and getting carbon fouling in your chamber you’re going to be more prone to “sticking one” in your chamber.

Last edited:
Of course, some bullets shoot more than satisfactory without messing with seating depth.

How far are you out from the lands at mag length?

Seems 2.245 was the OEM max length.

I’m no where max length as I’m shooting 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips. The bullets are seated pretty far away from the lands and I still shoot .3” 100 yard groups with two different loads. I’ll have to check the OAL when I get back where my load data is stored.

With the 100 gr Hornadys Im about 0.180 off at 2.250 as recommended for mag length. I can get about 2.260 as max in my altered mags.

The Speer 87 gr bullets are 0.070 w/ COAL at same length.

Ive a notion to try a few carts longer than mag length and single load em to see if the greater length (closer to lands) make much difference.

Thank you al for the advice/suggestions.

Originally Posted By: 22 ChuckWith the 100 gr Hornadys Im about 0.180 off at 2.250 as recommended for mag length. I can get about 2.260 as max in my altered mags.

The Speer 87 gr bullets are 0.070 w/ COAL at same length.

Ive a notion to try a few carts longer than mag length and single load em to see if the greater length (closer to lands) make much difference.

Thank you al for the advice/suggestions.

If you use the ASC STAINLESS 223 mags you can load out to 2.316 nominal. Lot's of play room there.

Greg

Back