Carpenter Bees - does this count?

Burnsome...

Carpenter bee season opened at Burnsoms AO today. Not sure if they count as varmints, but they do to me. The action has been fast and furious.

11 confirmed kills/shootdowns today so far.

Bonus kills - 1 wasp plus 4 wasp nests.

55 confirmed kills last year, so we're off to a roaring start.

B8Wg9lR.jpg

UqrlsIG.jpg

I used a 20 with a turkey choke last year with great success. The bees would fly high, out of tennis racquet range near the gables of my roof, when they would get at least 12" from my facia board I'd let them have it. The pattern is tight enough I don't have to worry about shooting my house and will vaporize them. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I think I shot over 150 shells last spring and summer. Its getting close to war time here in southern Indiana, usually May and June is peak season.

LOL I've used a shotgun a time or two in past years. Full auto airsoft does pretty good. My house siding is cedar and they love to much on it.

45 Colt, wad over powder add some grits or rice, wad over that.
45/8” black hawk will smoke them at fair distance. FYI it may tear up some vinyl siding and will take paint off, don’t ask how I know.
Rice will kill chipmunks.

Great trap idea Bob. Will make up a couple of those. Rice shot for the win jsh!

10 confirmed KIA today with the airsoft (2 unconfirmed)

Bonus - 2 wasps and 3 wasp nests

Total KIA YTD - 21

Don't have many here in southern Nevada but i brought home a load of old dead aspen a few years ago and there were a ton of them in there. Aggressive little buggers.

Badminton racket restrung with wax cord. Got about 19 today (should have kept a more accurate count) but had a few whiffs too. Did get two with my hat today, as well as two hat smacks yesterday when the racket wasn't handy.
Yesterday went 9 for 9 at one point with the racket, the best I have ever done. I like to bounce them off walls, on decks or anything hard. Broke one of the rackets last year but brought another home tonight so me and the wife can compete. She swings a pretty good smasher herself.
Wife built a few of the traps at our log house and several jars were 1/3 full today.

Last edited:
29 down over the last few days. Got one today with the weed wacker while out trimming around the house.

Total KIA YTD - 50

Built a trap but none have partaken yet. Might have used the wrong type of wood perhaps. Seems like they're only in the mood to declare territories and buzz around chasing off other flying insects.

We have rain and 3 days of cooler weather moving in so they wont be back out for a while now.

A few years ago, my buddy at the Sheriffs Dept range was trying to shoot some in the air with their airsoft pistol. After many shots, he never hit one, and handed me the gun. I followed one in the air, finally pulling the trigger. Shot the carpenter bee in mid flight! And yes, I was smart enough to hand him the gun, and quit.

Back