Baiting

Nice looking cat Week. I called one in last night as well, but same situation as you know. Still I like to watch them when the coyotes aren't coming.

I stayed at the cabin again last night. A coyote had visited the bait site the night before. I took a chance on it returning and it paid off, but I just barely got him, took his throat out at 80 yards. When I turned on the scope I could see him trotting away due to a partial moon. I had the illuminator set to low mode, thinking a coyote at the bait site would not spook as easily with it on low. Would have been nice to have had it on high. I didn't have time to make adjustments. The coyote stopped and looked my way, but he was almost behind some small tree branches. It was a lucky shot and I almost missed. I plan to recheck zero. Don't know what's going on with these coyotes lately. They won't stay at the bait site long before retreating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxWqYCN_CWg&feature=youtu.be

You can see the small tree between the coyote and cabin window. A chainsaw and I will take care of that. Luckily the
coyote was up the hill to the right just a tad when I shot.

49652417742_00023f21c5_b.jpg

Originally Posted By: weekenderMaybe if you didn't holler "hey, get out of here" before you shot LOLOLOLOL.
No, that’s what I have reserved to holler at bears in my storage building. Had one open the door to the building year before last and eat all the dog food. That’s what I hollered at him.

This fella has been operating in my AO without any decent restraint for a couple of weeks now. Tonight that's come to an end.

He showed up last night around 9:30pm but I wasnt there to greet him. Tonight I got out a little bit later than I wanted....probably around 8:30-8:40pm and he was already on my bait pile. Snuck around the corner of the garage I hunt from and he spotted me or at least sensed that something wasnt right. Took a step or two back and looked my way so the shot was rushed but it connected.

He ran like I didnt hit him so I thought maybe I missed. After reviewing the video the shot looked ok, maybe slightly to the right. Anyway, got the hound out and he found him about 60 yards away DOA.

40gr Nosler BT factory 223 ammo. ATN 4K scope. 70 yards.

All and all it has been a good night. This one's for you pops
smile.gif

3XKUkIN.jpg

cIMErzO.jpg

FzLa0kq.jpg

[video:youtube][/video]

Hey, nice Burn. Looks like we both dropped one the same night. Admitedly my shot was not the greatest. I already had two black eyes from beating myself up over missing that one earlier. I sure didn’t need a bloody nose to go with it.

Last night my calling place let me down. I heard some as I was putting the call out, but they never responded at all. I think they were not moving far from the den, and a little too far to attract.

When I got back home I spotted one in the field, and he helped make up for the dry stand.

Here is the picture of last night's make-up coyote. He wasn't real large, but his teeth were pretty worn, and as you can see he was very dark, almost black, but not quite.

IMG_0609 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video, but unfortunately not much to it.

Thats pretty awesome DU. The ditch digger came out and then promptly fell back in. Another one in the basket. Maybe he wanted to partake in the burn barrel activities
smile.gif

Well you're right Burn, but at least this time I had something I could pull him out of the ditch with. Maybe I should have titled it Ditch Digger Four.

Well, my season has ended. Have to say last season was the better of the two but at least I killed a few predators off the farms. Here are my numbers for 2019-20 predator season: 111.75 hrs. on stand
Red fox - 9 Gray fox-0 Coon-7 Possum-9 Skunk-0 and Coyote-0. I had 6 individual camera recordings of coyotes recording 8 coyotes. ( 2 recordings were pairs)
There is certainly an increase in visits on camera but it just didn't work out for me to get one this season.....but there's always next!
I included a video of a pair of yotes on my home farm. The female with the bad eye has shown twice, once by herself and then in the video below with a male.

Congrats on the yotes ya'll have recently
taken and keep at 'em! The videos, pictures, stories and your participation in hunting is what fuels these pages. Thank you guys.
Keep your bait piles fresh and aim true.
I'll catch up with ya'll next fall.
gg

GG, with all that coyote activity increase, you're bound to get one next season. Congratulations on a good season, and we'll be looking forward to your return next fall. Blessings!

Here in Illinois we have ended our night hunting. I took 4 off my bait pile and missed two others. I shot or was part of shooting 8 others while out calling. One of my friends had a record season with 63 at night and 3 during the day.

Next year (this fall when night hunting starts gain) I anticipate better numbers off my bait pile but we shall see.

Gobbler, not a bad season at all, just not probably what you expected or hoped for. That’s the way it goes. Like Week mentioned, I hope a coyote is in your forecast for next year. The fact that they are visiting more frequently is a good sign.

Dozer, hate your season has ended but you will have time to think, plan and gain enthusiam for next season.

As for me, I have 5 coyotes for the season (since September) and missed one that I should have had. My eyes are still black from beating myself up. Though we can hunt coyotes here all year long with no closed season, I generally end it up when they have pups. I know they are or can be destructive, but I just don’t care to shoot them in the summer months, so I will be calling it quits soon. If I can manage one within the next 2-3 weeks then I will, but after that will call it quits.

Hope everyone has a good summer, and stay safe from this Coronovirus. Hang around on the forums if for no other reason than to check in, talk about how you bait, post photos of your area and shacks if you hunt from one, sensors etc. That will keep the forum active and also continue education for all of us. I know we have pages and pages of such things, but it requires so much searching to go back and try to find something that I think it’s good to post over and over again at times. Will definitely help newcomers to find information easier and learn how everyone is going about it. As well, many photos from old posts are gone thanks to Photobucket, so it doesn’t hurt to post again. Just my thoughts since I personally enjoy seeing everyone’s baiting setup.

Back