When budget rifles aren't budget rifles anymore

pyscodog

Savage Axis II Overwatch. MSRP is $529. Nice looking rifle but what happened to the $279 cheap Axis? Seems like the "Budget Rifles" aren't exactly budget rifles anymore.

Meh. I'm just glad that there is nothing out there that makes me want to spend my money on any longer. I guess that finally after almost half a century I am finally content with what I have now.

Took me long enough.

I am in the same boat as Rustydust, I bought my last rifle in 2009 and my last shotgun in 2005. I highly doubt now that I will buy anymore guns.

When I see and MSRP for firearms, I usually take 1/3 off of that, and I'm ususally pretty close to the actual lower retail prices out there for that weapon, sans any specials, sales, etc. That formula would put this thing out on the street for about $350, plus tax, instant ck, etc. Not bad for a basic, proven system with a PVD coating, and what appears to be LOP and cheekriser adjustments, etc. Let it get out there for a couple years and they'll be having sale em on for $250. There's always a supply vs wants curve.

It is interesting on how many we tend to own now. If the companies didnt keep coming up with "new" stuff and calibers, and formats and such, they'd be bankrupt. Unfortunately, mos tweapons dont wear out in a few lifetimes, so we may be getting in a serious oversupply situation, value-wise. Grandparents had 2 to a few, Dad several now, me......I may make even some here blush...LOL. As an old fella told me an old fella told him, we're prob only good for a 1000 rounds a piece or so each when the world goes to h**l. JMHO

I just looked at it om a Savage ad. I'm sure street price is lower.

Russ- I always say I have enough but then I see something that catchs my eye and...... well you know. LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RustydustMeh. I'm just glad that there is nothing out there that makes me want to spend my money on any longer. I guess that finally after almost half a century I am finally content with what I have now.

Took me long enough.

those same thoughts have been going through my mind.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: RustydustMeh. I'm just glad that there is nothing out there that makes me want to spend my money on any longer. I guess that finally after almost half a century I am finally content with what I have now.

Took me long enough.

those same thoughts have been going through my mind.

Wish I could do that. I say it all the time but I'm just kidding myself/

I took a look , Savage out did themselves in the ugly department this time.
laugh.gif

Just did a quick search and you can get the Axis II Overwatch for $391 I'm not a Savage guy so I don't know if that's good or bad but it seems fairly inexpensive.

This is an American psychological game.
We all want more for less, hence China dependence.
As soon as the next cheap rifle comes out we [beeep] about the stock, the trigger, the magazine, all the plastic.
So we applaud the manufacturer for listening to us and remedying it.
When the price goes up everyone looks for the next new cheap one.
In my time here I have seen many of these cycles completed.
Remember the Stevens 200.

At 34 I’ve sold about half of my firearms. Took all the money from the sales and upgraded optics, bought more powder, brass, bullets, primers, rebarreled one, bought a frame pack and have some cash left for a few out of state tags I hope to get in the next few years.

My dad called me the other day and wants me to come out and pick out what I want for myself and the grand kids when he’s gone. He’s selling the rest and going on a few trips.

Anyone like Winchester model 70 featherweights? He has a lot of them and I’d only like about 3-5 of them.

I sure would like one of Savages new High Country rifles. Seen a few but haven't got to shoot one yet. They sure aren't budget rifles. I have a friend that has one in 300 Win mag. He said the first three shots from a NIB rifle were under a half inch at 100 yards.

I really can’t stand the looks of most of these budget guns. A lot of folks buy them and then go on to spend lots of money upgrading them. They’d be better off cruising pawn shops for older rifles.

X caliber barrel company is having a 30% off sale right now...cant go wrong!

Most of my rifles are all switch barrels, some actions have 3 calibers I can screw on. The advantage is one good trigger, one good scope, but you can have multiple stocks to accommodate different barrel configurations if you want a sporter and Sendero taper or larger.

Switch barrel outfits are a much better way.

Back