cell phone traps

Just a little update on the trap. We have caught around 15 hogs so far.

I had an issue with the door lock actuator but I was able to find a replacement for $6 on Amazon.

vrqWANg.jpg

I also added a solar panel and high gain antenna when I had the box off for repairs. I just used magnets to hold them on the metal control box to keep from drilling holes.

6Dnx88L.jpg

Last edited:
Gman what app do you use, when I go to the app waferstar suggest I get an alert that it's a dangerous site....I got my sim card today from usmobile they offer 150 minutes talk and 150 text for 8.50 a month, you build you own plan...

David it looks that way but gman sent me a drawing how he wired his, I just got my sim card so I'm trying to get the app set up now ...

Originally Posted By: larrybseems like you got it working great Gman. I'm still struggling to get hooked up...not sure which app to use.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/kiaotimeswitch/id1355473568

Use TEXT to trip the actuator. If you call the solenoid will stay HOT until you call again.

I use text and send a 1 SECOND delay command on CH1.

You should get a confirmation text back from the GSM controller to let you know it received the command text. Keep in mind that all the command texts you send will back up in the que and go through once the GSM board is operating correctly and keep tripping the solenoid until they all clear out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larrybGman what app do you use, when I go to the app waferstar suggest I get an alert that it's a dangerous site....I got my sim card today from usmobile they offer 150 minutes talk and 150 text for 8.50 a month, you build you own plan...

Just make sure US Mobile is compatible with the GSM controller. I only saw AT&T or T-Mobile so I went with AT&T and did not try any others.

well after sometime and some beating my head against the wall, and the help of Gman, I got the cellular trap working, now if I can find some hogs...stay tuned, this is gonna be fun

Any of you guys ever have hogs climb out or something else climb in with the hogs? The state of Missouri has been using these cell phone triggered traps in their hog eradication efforts. I have several of them placed around my immediate hunting areas (public ground). Evidently the local bears have figured out they can climb into the trap for some pork dinners.

Well, I've not had that problem yet... I have my trap angled in at the top so the hogs cant climb out, they are 54" tall with an additional 12" angled at 45 degrees...

@Gman757 Sorry for the late question, but just ran across this post with very helpful info after recently joining this great forum. I’m currently rebuilding my trap gate system and working in an RTU5024 3g/4g gate opener/switch and swapping out the KT-G3A circuit board that has quit working after a few years in service. My three questions for Gman757 and/or anyone else willing to jump in are:

1) In the drawing, there is a four conductor wiring bus shown. Can you possibly send a link to this on Amazon? They have different types and I’m not sure which is proper.

2) I also have a solar panel and controller module (Top Solar Model TOPSCC-10A) and am curious where this would tie in to your wiring schematic drawing. It has three pos/neg wiring inputs/outputs on the controller unit labeled Solar, Battery & Load. Does the addition of a solar charger/controller mean that I need larger than a 4 conductor wiring bus?

3) Finally, has anyone used an RTU5024 unit as the cellular switch? The programming instructions online are very hard to follow and I am really struggling with this part.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
Back