What's the best option for bulk ammo right now?

CGR

I want to pick up some bulk ammo for my AR, 1000 - 2000 rounds. I'm undecided on loading my own or just buying some loaded ammo. I would prefer to buy already loaded ammo so I don't have to load them all, but am willing to load if I can't find some loaded at a reasonable price.

I don't want steele, I want to be able to reload them after I fire them. I know all the big name places like Midway, Midsouth and so on, but are there any small sellers that maybe reload once fired Lake City brass and sell the ammo?

"Reasonable" has a different meaning to all, auction prices have jumped to 350-370/1000. Local retailers may not have any on hand because of panic buyers

options for buying reasonable bulk .223/5.56 might be limited and challenging now.

My kid told me that Walmart shelves are getting very bare .223/5.56, 9mm, .40, and 45.

.22 rim fire is disappearing as well.

Good luck

I don't understand jumping on the "buy up all the ammo" train. You might as well stock up on toilet paper while you are at it... same mentality.
Not saying the OP is asking because of all the hysteria right now but around here, people are acting like the zombies are coming. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CGRI want to pick up some bulk ammo for my AR, 1000 - 2000 rounds. I'm undecided on loading my own or just buying some loaded ammo. I would prefer to buy already loaded ammo so I don't have to load them all, but am willing to load if I can't find some loaded at a reasonable price.

I don't want steele, I want to be able to reload them after I fire them. I know all the big name places like Midway, Midsouth and so on, but are there any small sellers that maybe reload once fired Lake City brass and sell the ammo?

You're a week or two too late. For the last couple years I got email after email with sales, trying to give the stuff away. I don't shoot blasting ammo so never bought but it was tempting. I knew 5.56 would never be cheaper than $300 per 1k, but I just don't shoot that stuff.

Same old story, nobody wants stuff till they think they can't get it anymore. I still say that's the reason AR's are so popular, thank Clinton and the 94 AWB. Before that very few even bothered with them.

Ok so if I were you I'd buy some once fired brass (if you still can) and hopefully find enough powder, as that's drying up too, and primers. Better hurry if you want it because these hoarder morons are going to make it tough now for months.

Originally Posted By: who meoptions for buying reasonable bulk .223/5.56 might be limited and challenging now.

My kid told me that Walmart shelves are getting very bare .223/5.56, 9mm, .40, and 45.

Good luck

The Walmarts around here don't sell pistol ammo or 223.5.56. Nothing!

My timing is just unlucky coincidence. I had all the parts for my first AR15 sitting around for the last month and finally got around to getting it put together. I started looking around for ammo right when the virus scare hit. I have enough ammo of other types for all my other rifles that I will be fine in case the end of the world is actually here.

I have always reloaded since I got my first centerfire and have never bought factory centerfire ammo before. I know there is a lot of remanufacturing of the brass and thought maybe there was a preferred place to buy the bulk 223 stuff. I was planning on doing some shooting with the AR and really don't want to load for it.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: who meoptions for buying reasonable bulk .223/5.56 might be limited and challenging now.

Good luck

The Walmarts around here don't sell pistol ammo or 223.5.56. Nothing!

I got reminded by another member about Walmart not selling

5.56/.223 and centerfire semi auto pistol ammo, I had forgot

about that, I don't go in the very often.

I called my boy and he too had forgot that they quit selling

those kinds of ammo. He went there with a friend that needed 6.5 cred.

He told me, that about all he saw was hunting rifle ammo, some

shotgun shell and some 22ammo. explains why he really didn't see

anything else

He buys most of what he needs at Sportsmans

Tactical $hit has ammo loaded for then by Scott Munitions with new lake city brass. I buy from Target sports usa, they have free shipping if you buy certain quantities, and SG Ammo has a good selection but usually with shipping charges added on. Also Academy outdoors has ammo with a 5 buck shipping charge.
Tarey

Last edited:
SGammo has a disclaimer about sending critical workers home and only having 25% staff. said they have some stuff and will ship, but it will be slower than normal.

My suggestion is to wait, this too will die down and when these asshats remain unemployed for extended periods, you can buy ammo for a song, it may be cheaper than gas before long.

All the people buying guns need ammo for them!
I would just try to buy enough to suit your needs for now, and then when things calm down, and prices drop, stock up on it when it's plentiful.

I agree, from what I'm seeing online with reloading supplies, this isn't as frantic a buying spree as 2013. And I sure hope not, that was awful.

I think buy what you can and can afford. Don't stop paying bills for ammo not worth it. I remember preobama as stinking rotten times makes me want to repeat therapy just thinking about that

If you are wanting ammo Right now you better buy anything that will go bang. When things straighten out maybe better deals on better quality ammo. Pawn shop owner here told me today , ammo is the new gold / silver coin. WAY BETTER THAN A BIT COIN. MD

There is ammo out there if you look. Buddy has a new shop he got opened up a couple of years ago. He called me because “his” suppliers were out. We sat down and I showed him a few places with real warehouse storage. He was basically using fairly large gunshops for supply.

The supply is there but you may pay full MSRP because of the demand.

After this blows over, start building a stock pile of your own. I don’t waste my money on cheap blasting ammo, I want every shot to group a dime size, so I handload Hornady 55gr. V-Max. But this is what I like and your likes might be different than mine. (Chevy vs Ford). Good luck on what ever you find. ——Riflemann

Back