Remington 783 varmint??

bighowler

Anyone have any experience with this gun? Specifically the 22-250 caliber? Was looking at it and it looks like a pretty good bang for your buck!!

Ackleyman is a 783 fan, so I'd guess he'll be along soon. I didnt know they had an actual "varmint" model out as yet.

Originally Posted By: Mike BAckleyman is a 783 fan, so I'd guess he'll be along soon. I didnt know they had an actual "varmint" model out as yet.

They do. Nice wood laminate stock. 26" heavy barrel.

I played with a 308 and 30/06. Barrel quality was very good looking with bore scope.

Fast lock time

Barrel free floated from the factory

Steel detachable magazine

Fantastic Recoil pad, limbsaver

Down side, plastic trigger guard

Actions are machined very, very true.

Barrels have some meat on them, like the 788's

I re sprung my trigger, nice 10 oz trigger now.

The 783's are better than average entry level guns.

If you like savages, you are going to think that you have died and gone to Heaven with a 783, especially if you have a bore scope. The actions are very impressive in how true they are machined, and the recoil lugs are perfectly flat on the ones that I have, like they have been ground with a surface grinder.

Re sale on entry level guns is low, and point of pride on entry level guns is low. For families on a budget, this is one of the best guns on the market, along with the TC Venture that is just about gone. I think that the 783 is a better gun than the Venture, in spades.

Well I'm a savage fan. And I liked the look and sound of the 783. So it sounds like I will be buying one in a 22-250. Tailored hand loads I bet she will be within my 1/2moa standard for a coyote rig

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ackleymanthe TC Venture that is just about gone.

did t/c stop making the venture?

what a shame if they did.

They should have kept the Venture and canned the Encore.

I’ve seen articles of the 783 Varmint in a couple magazines lately. Good reviews and surprisingly accurate; believe they were in .22-250 and .243. Checked all the boxes for me, and I was starting to wish I’d known about them before I bought a Savage .22-250 FV. Then I checked the twist rate: 1:14”. Darn, I need 1:12 or faster, so I can at least shoot the 53 grain V-Max! Are these companies ever going to learn that a 14-twist barrel on a .22-250, Swift, etc. is darned near useless in these days of longer/heavier high-bc bullets?

Originally Posted By: deathwind III’ve seen articles of the 783 Varmint in a couple magazines lately. Good reviews and surprisingly accurate; believe they were in .22-250 and .243. Checked all the boxes for me, and I was starting to wish I’d known about them before I bought a Savage .22-250 FV. Then I checked the twist rate: 1:14”. Darn, I need 1:12 or faster, so I can at least shoot the 53 grain V-Max! Are these companies ever going to learn that a 14-twist barrel on a .22-250, Swift, etc. is darned near useless in these days of longer/heavier high-bc bullets?

I have a savage 12fv 22-250 with a bell and Carlson medalist stock. Hate it. That's why I'm looking at the 783. 14twist sucks i know. But it should have no problems shooting the 55gr nosler varmegeddon flat base hollow points as i plan to shoot from it for the coyotes and bobcats

The 783 varmint is a better gun compared to the FV in my opinion. And yes I'm a savage fan. Big time. U get a nice stock. And a detach mag. And if u wanna change the barrel you can to something better and a different twist

Last edited:
Big savage fan, look down the barrel, 783 and Savage with a bore scope, you will change teams immediately!

Teslong bore scopes are a great investment.

Last edited:
I bought a 243 700 vls back 99’. I ditched the laminate stock since the best it would shoot was .5” groups after acraglassing it. I installed an HS Precision Stock on it and with the same load it shot three shots all in the exact same hole at 100 yards. Most accurate gun I own. It grouped so tight it looked like it missed the target with the second two shots.

Don’t know how the 783 is but if it were me I’d buy a 700 sps varmint and an hs stock...along with a timney trigger upgrade. They just had the 700 sps varmint on sale for $399 at Cabela’s last Christmas.

Last edited:
Interesting that the heavier barreled 700's are currently cheaper than the 783's with the current rebates I think?? How weird is that??

Back