The blessing of being old.

AWS

Retired PM Staff
While I'm a prime candidate for coronavirus I'm old enough to have lived through quarantines for Mumps, Measles, Scarlet fever and Polio.

When I was a kid we got quarantined for all of the above, the city or county would slap a red quarantine sign on your door and you were stuck there. Polio struck kids all around me and there was no cure, killing a crippling some of my friends, we were all stuck at home and not allowed to congregate. Thank you Jonas Saulk.

I can't believe all the panic in people and the fear. If your old enough to be in severe risk from this virus it shouldn't be any more threatening than heart disease, obesity or any other malady of old adage. Take precautions follow procedures to protect yourself, panicking and massive amounts of TP aren't going to help.

For your younger folks, car crashes, smoking, flu, and any number of other maladies are more likely to kill you than coronavirus.

Keep calm, we'll get through this like we have everything else.

I'm a cemetery weirdo, I like to wander through old cemeteries and read epitaphs, if your scared by this virus imagine what it was like when influenza wiped out whole families in the early parts of the 20th century, it took everyone from infants to the aged.

1889 Russian flu pandemic: About 1 million flu deaths

1918 Spanish flu pandemic: Over 40 to 50 million flu deaths, including about 675,000 in the United States. The flu infected over half of the world's population by the end of this pandemic.

1957 Asian flu pandemic: Over 1 million flu deaths, including about 69,800 in the United States

1968 Hong Kong flu pandemic: About 1 to 3 million flu deaths

2009 H1N1 flu pandemic: Between 8,870 and 18,300 deaths in the United States and up to 203,000 deaths worldwide specifically from H1N1

Before that we had black plague that wipe out major portions of populations.

Today we have scientists that can fight this virus, they just need some time.

And this too shall pass.

Last edited:
Well said and so true.
I remember a lot of that.
I was thinking recently about going to the school house and getting the Polio vaccine on a sugar cube. First sugar cube I had ever seen.

Quote:Dutch researchers find Corona virus antibody

Posted by IO Eindhoven | Mar 14, 2020 |

A world premiere for Erasmus MC and Utrecht University. Researchers from the two universities have discovered an antibody against COVID-19. The scientific paper from the group of ten scientists is now ready for peer reviews from the leading professional journal Nature. The Rotterdam university journal – Erasmus Magazine – first reported the sensational news.

According to one of the people who identified it, the antibody that blocks the infection of SARS1 and SARS2 was already briefly lain in the fridge at the Erasmus MC in Rotterdam. Professor of Cell Biology Frank Grosveld (71) is part of a team of ten scientists. He posted the article about the discovery to BioRxiv last Thursday. BioRxiv is a website where biologists can publish their research before it has been peer-reviewed by a professional journal. The summary talks about an antibody against SARS2, the coronavirus that is causing the current pandemic (COVID-19). The antibody may help detect and prevent this form of Corona infection. This would, therefore, make the active antibody a world premiere.
Very first antibody

The antibody still has to be tested on human beings and this will take a few months. Yet Grosveld is hopeful, according to Erasmus Magazine: “We are now trying to get a pharmaceutical company on board – that’s looking good, by the way – which can mass-produce the antibody as a medicine on a large scale. This is the very first antibody that we know of that will block the infection. And there is a good chance that this will also become a medicine that reaches the market. If this is taken by a patient, then it is expected that the infection can be stopped in that patient. So, the patient will have a chance of recovery.”

In the article, Grosveld has responded critically to the Dutch approach to the Corona pandemic. “We have been too lax and were ill-prepared. For example, there were too few tests and too few restrictions from the outset, even though we saw what happened in China and then Italy.”

https://innovationorigins.com/dutch-researchers-find-corona-virus-antibody/

Regards,
hm

I'm terrible with math but I was trying to quantify the numbers yesturday.

Very rough numbers here.

200,000 Covid cases world wide.... 6,500 deaths.

Common flu is a bit tougher to narrow down but what I can find.

3.5 million cases of SEVERE common influenza kills 300,000 to almost 700,000 cases each year.

I think 98% of this is media hog wash, I was just on the phone with my parents that are in the danger age group and they think it's very real. According to them the host of the common flu can infect 7 other people, average I'm sure, but the new covid host can infect 40, my guess it's just fear mongering.

Mostly fear mongering to kill the economy for political reasons.

If you believe what the media has been saying for weeks, you would think half the country should be infected by now. But, it hasn't happened.

Back