Summer time coyote hunting

This is going to be my first year really calling in the “off season” . Really it is my first year predator hunting at all . I’ve done pretty well with two grey foxes and 4 coyotes my first year . All my calling is done during the day . All of my harvests have been with the shotgun . I’m just looking for any tips on summer time coyote hunting . I know some people don’t agree with hunting the summer but I hunt on the farms I hunt deer on . So any dead coyote saves a fawn or two. So any tips world help a lot . Also I should state my hunting is done in Connecticut and mass

Last edited:
I know this . I’ll be doing my summer hunting in Connecticut . On both state and private land . I am just looking for tips on the tactics for summer time coyote calling

Never have hunted summer yet, though I hope to in NH later this year. I saw some summer hunting on the outdoor channel a couple years ago, they were calling in Vermont using rabbit distress, and I think pup distress. Also many turkey hunters call coyotes every year, so there is a clue. Also if those farmers cut hay coyotes will be mousing along the windrows. And be sure to watch out for ticks. Keep us posted on kills and sightings. Good luck!

I shot two coyotes on turkey set ups last spring . If you’d like we could link up and hunt nh or ct together . I’m always looking for good hunting buddies . And with just getting into predator calling the more friends I can make the better it will go

I don't hunt coyotes during the spring or summer but I'd be willing to bet the same sounds that work in fall and winter will work in spring and summer. Maybe getting elevated with a climbing tree stand would be good also to stay above the new growth

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterI don't hunt coyotes during the spring or summer but I'd be willing to bet the same sounds that work in fall and winter will work in spring and summer. Maybe getting elevated with a climbing tree stand would be good also to stay above the new growth

Rabbit sounds work in summer especaly late evening. I also use several of my tree stands for the best vantage point plus each has a built in rest.

With so much vegetation and thick stuff here in ct I’ll be using a shotgun with BB loads . A rest isn’t needed . But a lot of my set ups a tree stand is used . Dawn distress? Puppy fights and distresss ? Challenge sound?

I spent the last two years hunting straight through the summer, wasn't a week I didn't get out at least one time.
On the sounds, distress both rabbit and fawn work well. Pup vocals work well if you are in a den area.

I will not be hunting through this year and focus more on shooting and reloading. I think calling and killing coyotes in the spring/summer/early fall is exponentially harder. The foliage cover makes set up and actually seeing the coyote much more difficult. If you are calling in the woods, the sound does not carry are all, and honestly my experience is you get busted more than in the winter.

The spots that have worked out well over the last few years I feel got burned down by me calling in the summer time, getting busted and educating them. I have killed a few, mostly young of the year, and mangy ones.

Lastly the ticks and bugs are ferocious. Thermacells and headnets along with gallons of Sawyers to keep the ticks off will be your biggest expense. Lyme disease is no joke, I don't want it again.

Good luck if you keep after them.

Thank you I appreciate the info . I’m gonna give it a shot because I have some farmers who are begging me to get rid of some dogs ... wether they are 45 pounds or 10 pounds old or young they will be taken out if they come

I hope summer is good to me . I’ll be interrupting my hardcore striper fishing to try and help these farmers .... hope I don’t regret it lol

Back