Presure range for 21/2 " 16 ga reloads

masshunter

I was wondering what is considered safe pressures for older guns.
I'll be loading for a circa 1910 Sauer drilling, not a damascus gun,but still concerned about the safe range. I have BPI Advantages, 16 Ga. Manual, and Lyman 5th ranges run from 7500 to over 10,000 psi. Is the psi or the fps that increases recoil ? Thanks.

It's FPS that increases recoil "for every action there is a reaction". That said slower powders lower the psi and can spread the recoil impulse giving a slight perceived lower recoil. As far as what psi, I try to stay under 9,000 psi for my 1 oz predator loads in my 2 1/2" 16ga drillings. I load 3/4 oz for my lead and bismuth loads and stay well under that. Most of my loads I keep in the 1150 fps range even predator loads. The "Advantages Manual" likes lots of fast loads which raise pressures.

An ounce of NP BB's at 1150 fps can be pretty devastating under 40 yards. It will break bones.

Weidmannsheil

mF8Jow.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. 9000 should be pretty easy. I shot three coyotes with 1oz NPBB,this year, and one with a 11/8 load out of my Kreighoff, Only one required a second shot. I want to try the old Sauer next season.
Thanks again.

Back