Hogster 6 Pack

Kirsch

I have had the Hogster out on 2 coyote hunts recently. I harvested 6 coyotes on each hunt. This video is from the first hunt which occurred in early March.

On the first stand, I had a coyote come to approximately 190 yards and stop. It was evident it wasn't coming any further. I shot the first coyote and looked for the 2nd coyote that had been holding back. When I pulled the trigger on the 2nd coyote, I knew the shot was deep, but was surprised as I paced it off at approximately 400 yards.

For the second stand, I decided to use black hot vs white hot and use digital zoom vs using the PIP option to show some different options on the Hogster. The first coyote approached and as I picked up my tripod to reposition, the gun disconnected from the tripod. Due to this, the footage is shaky. You will see for both of these coyotes I used digital zoom which really impacts the video quality.

On the 5th coyote, I went back to PIP and white hot which is my favorite for the Hogster. This coyote read the script perfectly and I stopped it inside of 100 yards to finish the deal.

On the last stand of the night, the fog started to roll in. I had 2 separate fox come to the call. I had no issue distinguishing they were fox and recorded one of them exiting. Due to their low price and limited population in my state, I let both of them go. Just as I was ready to stand up, I scanned one last time, and saw this coyote trying to sneak in behind me. To my surprise, the coyote didn't collapse immediately after I shot it. I had to track it into a cornfield.

The Hogster-R 35mm continues to impress me. I get a little sad when I take it off as my hunting partner uses it as a scanner when we hunt together.

These images are too sharp and defined! They are truly exceptional. I suspect that Hogster R-35 have the new 384x288 17 µm sensor with NETD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2How good is the return to zero? It has returned to zero really well. The last 3 times I have taken it off and put it back on, I didn't have to adjust it at all. This is the 35mm with the locking QD mount which comes standard when you purchase the 35mm from Night Goggles.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49These images are too sharp and defined! They are truly exceptional. I suspect that Hogster R-35 have the new 384x288 17 µm sensor with NETD

First off great video like always!!

Couple things I noticed......
1. I wish the hogster would have 4x native magnification. Seemed on the longer shots the reticle covered up a lot of the coyote making it harder to be more precise in shot placement.

2. This is more of a question for Korey. You seemed to switch reticles a few times; were you just experimenting or what didn't you like about some of the reticles?

Originally Posted By: Pro_hunt...
1. I wish the hogster would have 4x native magnification. Seemed on the longer shots the reticle covered up a lot of the coyote making it harder to be more precise in shot placement.

2. This is more of a question for Korey. You seemed to switch reticles a few times; were you just experimenting or what didn't you like about some of the reticles? Native magnification is derived by a combination of micron size, resolution, and focal length. The only way to get more magnification using the 17-micron 384 core would be to increase focal length. This is typically accomplished by increasing the objective size and/or using a different aperture. I have recommended a 50mm Hogster to Bering Optics but haven't heard any indication of this happening.

For most hunters a 2x native magnification and then having PIP will work fine. I have made consistent shots from 50-400 yards with the Hogster which will work in most environments. I personally like a weapon's sight around 3x. Different terrains and different species can also make different native magnifications more suitable.

As far as reticles, the reticle choice I was using has a different color for the center of the reticle. So, when it was black hot, I used a black reticle with a white center, and when I shot white hot, I was using a white reticle with a black center. I always want to make sure I can see my aim point.

I make Kirsch observe this small, not indifferent difference.

Pulsar Thermion XP50 has:
640x480 17 micron sensor
FOV 12.4 x 9.3
Objectiv 50 / 1.2
native mag. 2x

Pulsar Trail XP50 LRF has:
640x480 17 micron sensor
FOV 12.4 x 9.3
Objectiv 50 / 1.2
native mag. 1.6x

2x vs 1.6x

Even between Thermion XP38 and Trail XP38, all other features being equal, we notice a different native mag.

1.5x vs 1.2x

So just change the mag. native. I asked Pulsar why. They replied that it depends on the diversity of the eyepiece behind it. Thermion has 25% more of mag. native than the Trail

Pulsar Trail XQ50 LRF has:

384x288 17 micron sensor
FOV 7.5 x 5.6
Objective F50 / 1.2
native mag. 2.7x

This value of native minimum mag. (which is less than the 3x desired by Kirsch) will probably be the same as the new Trail 2 XQ50 LRF

Concluding Korey, I think to satisfy your desire to have a native minimum mag. 3x, you will have to think about buying the new Pulsar Thermion XQ50 which presumably will have a native minimum mag. 3.3-3.4x

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: Pro_hunt...

2. This is more of a question for Korey. You seemed to switch reticles a few times; were you just experimenting or what didn't you like about some of the reticles? Native magnification is derived by a combination of micron size, resolution, and focal length. The only way to get more magnification using the 17-micron 384 core would be to increase focal length. This is typically accomplished by increasing the objective size and/or using a different aperture. I have recommended a 50mm Hogster to Bering Optics but haven't heard any indication of this happening.

For most hunters a 2x native magnification and then having PIP will work fine. I have made consistent shots from 50-400 yards with the Hogster which will work in most environments. I personally like a weapon's sight around 3x. Different terrains and different species can also make different native magnifications more suitable.

As far as reticles, the reticle choice I was using has a different color for the center of the reticle. So, when it was black hot, I used a black reticle with a white center, and when I shot white hot, I was using a white reticle with a black center. I always want to make sure I can see my aim point.

Thanks for the response Korey. It looked like some reticle had a dot in middle and others had a cross?

No, same reticle but different colors. The reticle just looks different in the recordings. On many brands of thermals, the reticles look different in the recordings and they loose horizontal or vertical axis when recorded. It has something to do with compressing it to 768x525 pixels etc and how the reticles are displayed.

Originally Posted By: KirschNo, same reticle but different colors. The reticle just looks different in the recordings. On many brands of thermals, the reticles look different in the recordings and they loose horizontal or vertical axis when recorded. It has something to do with compressing it to 768x525 pixels etc and how the reticles are displayed.

That explains that then.
thumbup.gif

Back