DPMS PRAIRIE PANTHER vs Rock River Coyote

Incahoots

I don't know much about AR's

Can get DPMS Prairie Panther for about $599

Rock River Coyote TRO Deluxe for $899

Is the RR $300 better than the DPMS? I've read enough that would say the RR is a better rifle but is it that much better? Bonus to the Coyote is it's threaded.

I think the DPMS is all the rifle you could ever need. Can't really tell you much if anything about the Rock River other than what I read. I have helped sight in three Prairie Panthers and they all shot great with Hornady factory ammo.

I like my Prairie Panther a lot, it shoots good and handles well. Don't know about RR. I paid about a grand for mine when new.

I also like the DPMS Prairie Panther , had the snow camo version. Shot exceptional . Good ar`s for the money imo .Cant comment on the Rock River ar 15 .

Don't know if it's $300 better than anything else, but my ten year old RR Coyote 20" upper shoots really, really well.

My Panther has performed well for years. 1" groups at a hunert with the 52 gr. factory loads I feed it.

Seems I gotta clean carbon from the chamber every 40-50 shots to easily remove a shell...not sure what that's about? Over-gassed? Anybody? It never jams in the heat of action though.

Last edited:
Never seen a RRA that didn't shoot. I had a Predator years ago that shot bug holes. I sold it to a friend and its his go to rifle still today.

The DPMS has a 1-8 twist SS barrel vs a 1-9 twist chrome moly chrome lined barrel on the RRA.

The RR Coyote has a Match trigger (as does the DPMS) and while it's better than a std MIL Spec trigger it's certainly not a Geissele or even a LaRue MBT.

I'd choose the DPMS and upgrade the trigger to an MBT.

I shot my RRA Coyote Carbine this week at 600 yds. Shot several 3 shot groups less than 6". Don't have any knowledge of the DPMS.

Originally Posted By: GhostmanThe DPMS has a 1-8 twist SS barrel vs a 1-9 twist chrome moly chrome lined barrel on the RRA.

The RR Coyote has a Match trigger (as does the DPMS) and while it's better than a std MIL Spec trigger it's certainly not a Geissele or even a LaRue MBT.

I'd choose the DPMS and upgrade the trigger to an MBT.

I bought an MBT after hearing and reading great reviews. It's a good trigger. I've used it all this winter. In fact, didn't shoot anything else for several months.

Then I got out one of my guns with the Rock River trigger + spring kit. The MBT isn't as light, has more over travel, and longer reset. I'm not a real trigger snob, that's just my opinion.

I'd go with the DPMS. It sounds like a pretty good deal, and with the $300 price difference, you could upgrade the trigger or put a fairly decent scope on it.

I have Rock River gun , DPMS , Bushmaster. And know super cheap Bear creek. It’s a sickness owning all these AR15 guns.
At one time i would have said spend the extra for the Rock River gun. now a days machining , barrel makers , etc all have excellent machines and people that run them. If you have the money go with rock river gun they guarantee a inch group at 100 yards out of box. With that being said , all guns I mentioned shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards after I find them the right factory ammo they like. If you buy the other guns mentioned you will have enough money to buy 1000 rounds of ammo. Marty

Either could shoot poorly or very well. Its a bit of a gamble buying factory rifles. If you get a chrome barrel that shoots, its like winning the lotto.

I seem to get better accuracy with my 9 twists and light bullets. Others have great luck with faster twist barrels though also.

Roll the dice. Buy cheap cry twice. (sometimes)

Never had either but if you haven’t seen cdnn has some demo kuiu verde prairie panthers that look pretty sweet and are discounted.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info. Based on feedback I was within hours of getting the Rock River but... Just before I made the purchase a Alexander Arms 6.5 grendel with 150 rounds down the barrel came up for sale. I think I negotiated a good deal for $755. Not as cheap as 223 to shoot 6.5 Grendel does bring some perks to the table. Plus I can always get a 223 upper. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal and the 6.5 Grendel is definitely on my list of a new caliber I would like to own in ar platform.

Back