Got pulled over with my Can

Rhett Steele

Was shooting my 6.5 CM on Sunday afternoon. My middle child got sick and my wife sent me the shopping list for sprite and other goodies for the sick kiddo. While headed home from town the cherries and blueberries appeared in my rear view. While one cop was getting the regs and license another was peering around with a flashlight in the back of my Tahoe. The rifle was laying in the back seat, the peering cop was giving me the stink eye.

When the head officer came to return my L&R and give a verbal warning for no plate lights he asked, "Is that a silencer on your rifle?"

I replied, "Yes, would you like to see my stamp?"

"No, I want to ask you some questions. How long did it take to get approved? What do you put it on? Does it work?"

I answered his ?'s and was told to fix my light. Has anyone ever been asked for their stamp?

I've been checked twice by my state game wardens and once by a local policeman and all made comments about my suppressor but none wanted to see my stamp.

Never been checked while hunting, but plenty of questions and comments at the gun range. All were pleasant exchanges. None bothered to ask me about my stamp though.

I would never not show my paperwork for anyone that asked, but I believe only the ATF can legally require you to show it.

I've never been asked by anyone to show proof of legal ownership, but I always have it with me and would have no problem presenting it to anyone that asked.

Originally Posted By: B23I would never not show my paperwork for anyone that asked, but I believe only the ATF can legally require you to show it.

Depends on state law. Some states might have laws that make suppressors or other NFA items illegal per se, but then the law grants an exception for "properly registered/licensed" etc., or how ever the law is worded.

In short, on face value the item is illegal and one must demonstrate they meet a statutory exception.

In Florida, SBR's are illegal unless registered... so if asked by local LE for the stamp, one would have to produce it in order for the officer to determine if an lawful exception exists.

Like you, I'd not think twice about producing my stamps... easier to just play nice and get along.

I have been "pulled over"/"checked" 7 times in a 6 month period last year by PA State Troopers( all between 12 and 4 am )..only twice was I asked for DL and registration....all pleasant interactions and every single time coyote hunting and my suppressed RRA .243 was the dominant subject LOL...and have never been asked about stamp...aside from asked how long is it taking now to get suppressor..

*we are not required to case our hunting firearms during transportation...

*I turn on all interior lights( all red ), put my back windows half way down ...and my front windows all the way down..and have my DL and registration in hands on steering wheel and do nothing until instructed, but I ALWAYS inquire why I'm being stopped...

*There are always 2 troopers..one on drivers side and one on passenger side of my vehicle...I want them to have a clear view of me and my interior for everyone's safety...

..4 times just sitting under a light in a grocery store parking lot waiting for hunting partner to arrive...once they just pulled next to me..other times they got out and just asked if all was ok.

..clear plate cover(they were going opposite way)

..license plate registration issue ( behind )..

..( they were over a 1/2 mile in front of me & saw them try to be sneaky and hide in a driveway ) driving very cautiously in center of unplowed 8" of slush covered rural secondary road with ice underneath after a snowstorm at 4 am..I laughed and asked him how many calls he has been to in his career because people get caught driving too close to the berm and go off the road in these poor conditions..theres no traffic and roads are not plowed...conversation turned to hunting LOL

Originally Posted By: limbhanger10..4 times just sitting under a light in a grocery store parking lot waiting for hunting partner to arrive...once they just pulled next to me..other times they got out and just asked if all was ok.

..clear plate cover(they were going opposite way)

..license plate registration issue ( behind )..

..( they were over a 1/2 mile in front of me & saw them try to be sneaky and hide in a driveway ) driving very cautiously in center of unplowed 8" of slush covered rural secondary road with ice underneath after a snowstorm at 4 am..I laughed and asked him how many calls he has been to in his career because people get caught driving too close to the berm and go off the road in these poor conditions..theres no traffic and roads are not plowed...conversation turned to hunting LOL

Sounds like some of the times your civil rights were walked all over to me!

They all seem like legit stops to me. The clear plate cover would be a tough one but sounds like they had a legal cause for the stops

Originally Posted By: reaper4They all seem like legit stops to me. The clear plate cover would be a tough one but sounds like they had a legal cause for the stops

Agreed....

I know all states can be different but what about cops setting on private property to watch intersection for stop sign etc??

Also I believe in MI at night the patrol car must have some lights on when watching for whoever?? Any legal eagles/latrine lawyers?

Last edited:
It seems some people are always thinking the police are out to violate someone’s rights. I had an employee that did not show up at home. He was the last one to get off his second job, and got in his car and had a stroke. They found him sitting there unable to speak hour later. The point is you never know, sometimes the police are just checking on your welfare don’t read more into it.

The parking lot of a grocery store is a place that is open to the public. The police have every right to be there as anyone else. they have the right to stop someone there if they have a reasonable suspicion that an illegal activity may be taking place OR that the person may need some help. Regardless of those two circumstances, them pulling up to you and asking what you are doing is not a “stop” or detention, they can ask you any questions they want. Now you don’t have to give them any information if they are not detaining you for a suspicion that you violated the law but I can promise you, there’s a really good chance that if you want to push that, they can find a violation of some kind if they really want to. None of that is taking into account any local ordinances or state laws. Keep in mind, details are important. They can ask you for anything they want at any time. There are circumstances where do may not have a legal obligation to provide whatever they are requesting. There’s a difference between “may I see your drivers license and registration? And give me your drivers license and registration.

Originally Posted By: reaper4The parking lot of a grocery store is a place that is open to the public. The police have every right to be there as anyone else. they have the right to stop someone there if they have a reasonable suspicion that an illegal activity may be taking place OR that the person may need some help. Regardless of those two circumstances, them pulling up to you and asking what you are doing is not a “stop” or detention, they can ask you any questions they want. Now you don’t have to give them any information if they are not detaining you for a suspicion that you violated the law but I can promise you, there’s a really good chance that if you want to push that, they can find a violation of some kind if they really want to. None of that is taking into account any local ordinances or state laws. Keep in mind, details are important. They can ask you for anything they want at any time. There are circumstances where do may not have a legal obligation to provide whatever they are requesting. There’s a difference between “may I see your drivers license and registration? And give me your drivers license and registration.

R u a LEO??

but I can promise you, there’s a really good chance that if you want to push that, they can find a violation of some kind if they really want to.

You are one of THOSE cops! If no broken law or infraction? How can they find one?

Enough said!

I was checked by a warden last year on a military base. As I was walking up, I could see him eyeing up my can sitting on my DPMS G2. I was concerned because I did not have a copy of my stamp and was wondering how this check would go.

About a half hour later, we finished up talking about our F1's, SBR's, suppressors, and handloads. One of the best warden stops I've ever had. The year before, a warden helped us gut, drag, and load up a couple descent bucks we shot on a drive.

Originally Posted By: jasonprox700I was checked by a warden last year on a military base. As I was walking up, I could see him eyeing up my can sitting on my DPMS G2. I was concerned because I did not have a copy of my stamp and was wondering how this check would go.

About a half hour later, we finished up talking about our F1's, SBR's, suppressors, and handloads. One of the best warden stops I've ever had. The year before, a warden helped us gut, drag, and load up a couple descent bucks we shot on a drive.

Yes their are plenty of good ones out there;-)

Back