2020 Groundhog tally

wahoowad

Jesus Christ, looks like I'm going to have to carry the weight here cuz the rest of you guys have gotten old, fat and lazy. Must be some new video games out or something...
tt2.gif

Took my first of the year yesterday. I was actually working on decreasing the feral pigeon population with my airgun when a farm hand mentioned a bunch of fresh holes around the cow poop settling pond. Since I love all the smells of a dairy farm I went to investigate and this fatty was out sunning himself. One less hole digger digging where he shouldn't...

IMG-8315.jpg

Originally Posted By: wahoowad looks like I'm going to have to carry the weight here cuz the rest of you guys have gotten old, fat and lazy. Must be some new video games out or something...
tt2.gif

how many coyotes you kill this winter?
tt2.gif

I think this stay home order is going to keep #"s down this year. I guess it is possible that it will give the young a better chance to survive if we can't kill mama early on. As for myself I am hoping for a target rich environment once we are able to get out. I have managed to kill 8 so far with my longest shot being 430 yds shooting my 223AI with 53gr vmax @ 3500.

Originally Posted By: whyI think this stay home order is going to keep #"s down this year. I guess it is possible that it will give the young a better chance to survive if we can't kill mama early on. As for myself I am hoping for a target rich environment once we are able to get out. I have managed to kill 8 so far with my longest shot being 430 yds shooting my 223AI with 53gr vmax @ 3500.

Glad to hear you are still after them on the Eastern Shore. I always picture that as a great place to hunt them with flat land.

I do kill some on the shore but I would much rather shoot in the Western part of the state where there are some rolling hills and hay fields. It is much harder to range them where it's flat. In the western part of the state there are rock breaks and more fence rows that we don't have here. There's also more Ghogs there.

Yahoo, that is a very nice looking air rifle. I imagine it shoots as good as it looks. What caliber?

Hi David! I hope all is well with you. How is the coyote hunting? Still using your shooting hide?

It shoots pretty darn good. Lately I've been focusing on groundhogs around barns and such so the airgun has been great. I got this one yesterday at 74 yards:

PV8nssR.jpg

And a few others over the past couple weeks:

jGabHfw.jpg

6086-A6-F1-5-E2-C-4391-B3-CE-B8-F5715041-B1.jpg

Nice. I really like your rifle. Is that place where we hunted before with your air rifle?

Yes, I am still using my hobo shack at a coyote baitsite. This past fall / spring I got 5 from that spot. I usually end up my hunting around the end of March or thereabouts. This year it ended for me for a while. I fell off a trailer and essentially broke my neck on the 31st. Today makes two weeks after a 7 hour surgery. I have a road to recovery to travel and a neck brace for 6 weeks at least. I am blessed to even be walking.

Hope you are staying safe from this virus.

Oh no, sorry about your fall! That sounds awful. Well take it easy and recover!

No, I think this was a different place. I’ve picked up a few more, lost a couple too...

Wahoo, thanks.

When you find time, tell us more detail about your rifle, caliber and performance ect. That is one nice outfit.

It is a .25 cal Uragan made by Airgun Technology out of the Czech Republic. I'm shooting airgun slugs out of it instead of the traditional pellet. I generally keep shots 100 yards and below.

Took my lonely 22 Hornet out for a nice walk and busted a couple groundhogs at a wool farm. This is a wonderful little Browning A-Bolt Micro Hunter that was recommended here years ago and glad I got one.

IMG-8555.jpg

IMG-8556.jpg

I used to use a Beeman R-1 on rock chucks.

I keep a daily record on a calendar.

Did that for the first three years and averaged

close to 200 chucks a year. I had drain ditch banks,

old feed lot, and a couple other spots to hunt.

Those spots have now changed due to growth and housing.

I use to get calls about wood piles, gardens, and around

out buildings that had been taken over by chucks.

Haven't been out with the air rifle for a few years now.

Carry on, and nice rifle by the way.

Back