17 HH or 17 AH barrel life

Frankm

Anyone got first hand experience shooting out a 17 HH or 17 AH barrel?

Assuming you didn't shoot it branding iron hot how many rounds is reasonable?
5,000 , 7,500 .... or ....???

Thx

Even taking into consideration their small bore size these little 17 Hornets only shoot, depending on which powder you use, 10-13 grains of powder so unless you were just banging away at one nonstop, I'd sure think the throat would last many many thousands of rounds.

I think the 17 Fireball has a pretty healthy barrel life so the little 17 Hornet, only shooting about half as much powder, should last considerably longer.

B23, one thing for sure you re exactly right that powder usage is minimal!

Barrel life is so subjective and variable based on useage that it's hard to know what's reasonable. Thus my thread reasoning.
Thx

One reason why I got my .17 Hornet (CZ 527 Varmint) a few years ago was because I loved the .17 calibers but was tired of buying barrels for my .17 Remington every 2-3000 rounds. Yes, I could have loaded it down some and I do now a bit but since my main quarry is our local ground squirrels 3600-3700 fps is way more than enough.

I guess that I have about 2000 rounds though my gun by now. Again, just guessing. And as far as I can tell it still shoots as good as when new and that means that it shoots great. In just a few short weeks I'm hoping to be out in the field with mine once again getting some serious hang time out of our local whistlepigs. Sure a fun gun.

I put around 5000 rounds down a Shilen 10T in 17 AH shooting nothing but AA1680 with 20g bullets, leade at 5000 rounds had grown .006.

Powder type makes a big difference. If I had been shooting IMR or H4198, barrel would have been toast long before that number.

I don't know how CFE black would be on a barrel. I also found another load with H110 with the 20g that shot the best at 200 yards but it was slower than AA1680. N120 would burn out a barrel in a hurry. Little gun also burns hot, it may shoot the leade out quick, I don't know.

I did find in my custom TC, that the bullets liked to be seated firm on the lands for tiny groups, and even seated .005 off the lands the groups opened up.

Just printed this pg. for Ackleyman's comments--just had a savage striker built in 17hh and need that load data. Thks sir! Just got a 50$ bonus at work and it's going to 2 more cans of 1680--YIPPEE!

Back