Western states with OTC tags?

I am thinking about venturing out and hunting a different state this year. Most states do not have OTC tags for deer, but some must?
What states can a person show up and buy a deer tag? elk tag? bear tag?

Well, you can't "show up" in NM for deer, but after the draws are over (mid to late April) the Game and Fish will post a list of leftover licenses (in July-ish) that will go on sale shortly thereafter. You can login online and buy one "over the counter." These are usually in the less desirable units, and often using bow or muzzleloader, but they can still be good hunts. My best mule deer in NM was taken with a muzzleloader on a leftover tag.

We also have "over the counter" tags in some units on private property, but you need to make arrangements with the landowner in advance to access that option.

Not that long ago(20yrs) they were much more readily available. Outfitters put the kibosh on them in many places. Do it yourself out of staters wandering around on BLM land mixed with deeded didnt help either. Game management programs as well have led to "tighter" control on tags as well. You can look at some reservations but a lot of those have gone to draw as well.

Originally Posted By: 6724bear tag?

I just noticed you also asked about bear. In NM you can buy bear tags over the counter. However, harvest is strictly regulated based on pre-established quotas (total kill and female kill). Just because you have a license doesn't mean you can hunt where/when you want. The hunter is obligated to check the web page (or call) prior to hunting to ensure that the quota has not been filled. Once harvest objectives are reached in a unit, that unit is closed for the year, regardless of how much season is left. Lions are managed the same way.

FWIW, you can also buy OTC turkey tags in NM.

Nebraska looks loke your closest bet for otc deer from what i see
Minnesota looks like otc for nonresidents on bear and deer. Probably others but thats what a quick search showed me for states within driving distance of Colorado

Last edited:
Its about what I expected. I looked a few years ago, but couldn't remember.

As the years pass, big game hunting has less and less importance to me, while coyote hunting I find more enjoyable.

Back