Now What?

IHarvestFur

Ok help a old guy out that’s new to the AR platform.

I have a 5.56 rifle, can I purchase other uppers in different chambering’s that will work with my lower and mags? if so what are some fun ones for hunting medium sized game like deer at moderate ranges? I appreciate your guys knowledge and input.

Just pop the 2 take down pins slap on the new upper and a new mag and your in business.
22 nosler
6.5 grendel
6.8 spc
204 ruger
300 black out
350 legend
450 bushmaster
7.62x39
And a whole slew of Wildcats.
Ar uppers are like tater chips.....cant have just one!

Last edited:
For using your 223 mags you can do 204 Ruger, 300 BLK, maybe 350 Legend, 458 Socom is GTG. Anything based on 6.8 or 7.62 will not do well. The good thing is mags are cheap for the other variants.

Greg

Last edited:
Don't limit myself to what works in 223 mags. As Greg stated the other mags are pretty cheap. If you dont reload the 6.8 might be your best add on and is one of the better deer/coyote calibers that is happy in an Ar.

Last edited:

6.8SPC
thumbup1.gif

You will need to buy mags but lots of ammo choices.

I prefer PRI magazines for the 6.8.

Mags: https://www.precisionreflex.com/Search.aspx?TERM=6.8

Uppers: https://www.blackstonearms.com/category-s/100.htm

Ammo: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.8mm-remington

Last edited:
Yeah there's so many options right now that it's about impossible to list them all. Like the guys said, mags really aren't a big deal, think $15 or so. One big question is if you reload, or are sticking with factory ammo.

Some factory ammo options in deer calibers (my opinion), in no particular order:

6.5 Grendel, 6.8 spc, 300 Ham'r (Wilson Combat), 450 Bushmaster, 50 Beowulf, 458 Socom, 243 and 25 Wssm, 350 Legend, 25x45 Sharps, probably missing a few. The Wssm's are in a category by themselves for speed and range but ammo will be somewhat hard to find to impossible when you need it.

Handloading of course opens the door wide open with wildcats based off of the 5.56, Grendel and 6.8 from 6mm to 30 cal.

Uppers range from very reasonably built yourself, to more spendy but very nice stuff built by various builders, several are sponsors here and I'd recommend any of them.

I've worked with quite a few flavors and they were all fun for sure. It just depends on what your goals are for range, power and your wallet lol. You said deer at moderate ranges, I think the 300 Ham'r would be near perfect or for a bit more speed the American 30 which is the 6.8 necked up to 30.

I have a high quality 450 Bushmaster upper that would work greats for medium sized game. You would just need to buy a mag.

I like the 6.5 Grendel ballistically speaking. But I’ve seen several references of feeding issues. So I’m leaning towards the 6.8 SPC. Is the SPC II a different critter from the regular SPC?

Again thanks all!!

I don't find issue with any of the 6.5 variants. I shoot more than a few and have had 100% reliability. Build it right and it runs right.

The SPC II chamber has a slightly longer lease. No one loads commercialy to the higher SPC II pressure levels. You might gain 40 fps with it.

Greg

my son and I have each had a 6.5grendel for going on3 to 4yrs now and we run them suppressed and have never had any issues with feeding. So I wouldn't be worried about feeding issues. I think that a lot of the stories that are going around are from guys that run. Oh never mind I don't want to step on any ones feelings.

The only nugget I would add is that you can't run 458 SOCOM in P-mags. I keep some aluminum USGI mags for this very reason. The internal rib structure of the Pmag interferes.

I never bothered with the 458 SOCOM-specific followers, however. Never found a need.

Originally Posted By: IHarvestFurI like the 6.5 Grendel ballistically speaking. But I’ve seen several references of feeding issues. So I’m leaning towards the 6.8 SPC. Is the SPC II a different critter from the regular SPC?

Again thanks all!! I run ASC mags in my 6.5 G and have had no issues with them. The E Landers i had to do a little filing to get rid of some rough edges and that was it. Both are good mags.

I actually picked up a 6.5 Grendel upper just before all this C-19 crap hit the States. I ordered some Elander mags from LaRue that said in stock when I ordered but after the order was made it’s been in limbo and says Back ordered. Been over a month now. Not very happy about that, but to be fair they have not charged my card yet either.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterFor using your 223 mags you can do 204 Ruger, 300 BLK, maybe 350 Legend, 458 Socom is GTG. Anything based on 6.8 or 7.62 will not do well. The good thing is mags are cheap for the other variants.

Greg

You have to do work on a 223 mag before a 204 will function properly. The Magpul mags you need to take apart and file the inside of the mag down so shoulder of 204 wont bind.

Originally Posted By: 1lessdogOriginally Posted By: GLShooterFor using your 223 mags you can do 204 Ruger, 300 BLK, maybe 350 Legend, 458 Socom is GTG. Anything based on 6.8 or 7.62 will not do well. The good thing is mags are cheap for the other variants.

Greg

You have to do work on a 223 mag before a 204 will function properly. The Magpul mags you need to take apart and file the inside of the mag down so shoulder of 204 wont bind.

I ran metal 10 round 5.56 magazines, unmodified with my 204 Ruger with no issue. Loaded them with 9 rounds.

FWIW, I've heard from people who ran 6.5 Grendel with regular 223 PMags. Reduced round capacity, but if you can't get grendel mags you might try it & see if it gets you shooting. I have not tried this myself.

Back