Looking for a guide to shoot Prairie Dogs

Crowbar

I live in Oregon and there are no Prairie dogs in this state.
I have no contacts for properties with dogs anywhere so thought I suck up and pay a guide for a family shoot. Can be any western state, MT, ID, SD, ND Utah ??
Thanks for any help.

Montana you can do a DIY hunt cheap

Any state or BLM land is open to blast away.

Montana Pdogs https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=11yalhv8PtpMtytuUfc5coayw50A&hl=en&ll=46.544896998002415%2C-108.1999125341797&z=6

Last edited:
Thanks for the great map link...guess I'll just have to get to MT or WY and do the work scouting the areas. Searching on-line, I can not find a P-dog guide for less than $250/day/person. That is not an option for our family.

My technique is to correlate areas with prairie dog populations, as linked above, with maps showing allowable hunting lands. Once that is established go to google earth and slowly fine-tune. A Gazetteer type map is handy to highlight areas.

One needs to go slow with google earth, zoom in all the way to see bare circles around doggy holes. As expected, easy access places can be old, or popular spots with fewer, educated doggies. Mid June will offer more targets.

Work local contacts, which can be the local chamber of commerce or a tiny cafe in ranch/prairie dog country. The waitress has been asked before, ask anyway. Another is a google wide search, tidbits come up from an assortment of sources. One pieces those tidbits together, then researches with maps & google earth again.

Once you shed the heavy shooting bench, it’s easier to get away from the road. I like to put a little hunting into prairie dogging.

Originally Posted By: jetmanMontana you can do a DIY hunt cheap

Any state or BLM land is open to blast away.

Montana Pdogs https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=11yalhv8PtpMtytuUfc5coayw50A&hl=en&ll=46.544896998002415%2C-108.1999125341797&z=6

If you shoot on Mt state land you will need a license from F&G called State Lands Recreational Use Permit

Watch out for old sat pics, they can lead you to old towns that were killed off by the plague.
You get enough yuccas in the right soil you will think you have found the mother of all towns, don’t ask me how I know.

Back