220 Swift

pyscodog

Going to start load work for my Swift. Its an early 77 heavy barrel, all factory rifle. I have a few ideas but was just wanting to hear what some of you are shooting. Thanks!

I hope you get a lot of responses, Bill. I already sent you my load suggestions.

Hey- what glass did you finally get mounted on this? Something good I hope. Swifts deserve it.

Yes you did Russ. Just running the gambit. I have 25 rounds setting on the bench to try out your loads now. If this #@%& Oklahoma wind will ever die down I plan to try them. LOL

Call me stupid. I primed 25 rounds of brass and knew I had 4 rounds that the primer pockets felt really loose. But like a dummy I didn't mark the cases. After wondering how I would find the 4 that had loose primers I got an idea. I fired up my air compressor and started giving each case a blast of 120psi air. Bingo, the 4 cases with loose primers went flying across the shop. Much better than coming apart in my rifle. Might have been a dumb idea but it worked.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogCall me stupid. I primed 25 rounds of brass and knew I had 4 rounds that the primer pockets felt really loose. But like a dummy I didn't mark the cases. After wondering how I would find the 4 that had loose primers I got an idea. I fired up my air compressor and started giving each case a blast of 120psi air. Bingo, the 4 cases with loose primers went flying across the shop. Much better than coming apart in my rifle. Might have been a dumb idea but it worked.

Hat's off! I dont think that I would have thought of that!
thumbup1.gif

I remembered they were pretty loose going in. Figured a blast of air should blow them out if they were that loose. And it did!!!

Originally Posted By: 7887mm08Remington 700 classic
50 gr Nosler Ballistic tip
38 grs IMR 4064

I loaded 50gr. V-Max with basically the same load data today.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: 7887mm08Remington 700 classic
38 grs IMR 4064

Think I got this recipe from Rustydust, but my gun didn't like
the v-max

Originally Posted By: 7887mm08Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: 7887mm08Remington 700 classic
38 grs IMR 4064

Think I got this recipe from Rustydust, but my gun didn't like
the v-max

My Krieger barreled Swift shoots that load best with the 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. The Vmax is good, but not quite as good.

My buddy uses IMR 4064. Don't know the charge weight. Uses Sierra 55 gr HP's and it shoots pretty good. Factory stock rifle in a Ruger 77 tang safety.

52 gr berger or sierra
38-39 gr imr 4064 what ever approaches max in your rifle
cci large rifle primers
1/4 to 1/2 minute groups remington 700 vsf
Same load in my old ruger m77 mark II 3/4 minute was the best I could ever get it to do with any load.

Like Rusty, I have been shooting the mighty Swift since the late 70's and it is still my go to caliber for varmints. I have loaded a lot of different bullet and powder combinations over the years and have a lot of loads that are very accurate in my rifle but perform very differently depending on the intended target.

A couple of my favorites are:
Sierra 55 gr HPBT (#1390) using IMR 4064 - very accurate and very few exit holes. Awesome load for coyotes.

Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade using AA2700 - also very accurate and an absolute screamer.

My current 220 Swift is a Remington 700 VSSF with a 26 inch barrel and 1:14 twist.

Last edited:
Love my Swifts. A lot of good combos out there.
Usually a 50gr Vmax or Bal-tip over either IMR4064 (classic powder for Swift) or AA2700 (Velocity) or RL15 (my usual) will get results.

Yeah RL-15 is some amazing stuff....In my .22-250Ackley it is the fastest(Muzzle Velocity) most accurate Powder I’ve used....60 grain Bergers moving along at 3700 fps and 55 grain Bergers at 3800 fps..... both shoot .3’s at 100 yards........

Last edited:
Late to the party, but in my Ruger 77 220 swift I use

40gr Vmax
39gr IMR4064
CCI BR-2

Works lights out for me and has for years.

Greg

Back