Tripod recommendations?

Zback

What is everybody using? What head? My friend is telling me I should get a really right stuff setup, unsure if I want to drop that kind of coin or if it’s needed.

We use Feisol CT 3371 & 3372 with RRS TA2-LCs..

..can't tell you what "you should" get...but I WILL tell you shouldn't get something that you would't trust to securily hold and balance your shooting "investment"....ya..the money is tough to hand over..at first. But if you have $100s & $1000s into your gun and optics..I wouldn't trust flinging a $150 amazon special over my shoulder to securily hold my set-up...or anyone elses..

Last edited:
I'm not much for shooting off of a tripod but there are time it might be handi.

I saw this at the PM convention and thought it was very well made for the price and it seems that Night Gogggles thinks it is a good hunting tripod. I looked at it for a very sturdy tripod for my spotting scope.

https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/night-...;v=f24485ae434a

I have pretty good luck finding tripods, my old employer used to demo work and I picked up a very study tripod with a broken head that has worked perfect for my chronograph.

After looking at the tripod above at the convention I headed back to the campgrounds and the next morning there was a very sturdy tripod in the dumpster, someone had left it in their camp sight and the camp host had it in his trailer for 3 years hoping the folk came back and while I was there decided to clean out the trailer before heading back to AZ. Great find.

I like my reaper grip with slik tripod. Not as light as some but not overly heavy. Also, it sets up perfect height for me by extending all legs- no messing around in the dark. I tried the new field optics research tripod that is comparable to a RRS and it was too short. I am 6’1”. So keep height in mind.

The SLIK pro 700 DX tripod appears to be heavy duty and very stable - it's rated for 20 pounds but looks and feels like it can hold 40 pounds. Cost is $100.00 If you like the RRS ball head appearance and function, then you'll probably like its clone - the Leofoto LH-55 ball head with Acra-swiss mount for $250.00 new from B&H Photo and other retail locations. All you will then need is a Acra rail for your rifle, which can be short or full length - your preference - or you could go with a saddle, if that's your preference.

I liked the Night Stalker, as mentioned by AWS for both the cost and build quality and had one on order. It's back ordered and currently no delivery date is known due to this virus scare, so I was allowed to cancel the order and went the SLIK and LH-55 route. It's a bit heavy but unless you're going on a walk about - it'll be fine for most.

The tripod/ head combo in many cases is more important than what gun you are shooting. DONT buy a slik, BOG, or any other tripod in the “cheaper” range and expect quality. RRS seems to be the best. I run a feisol 3372 leg setup and a rrs bh-55 head and its a really solid setup. The legs rated for less than 60 lbs are not something I would put an expensive setup on. I used to use one and ended up with an XP50 in about 4 different pieces because of it. If someone tells you that these manfrotto or slik legs are even close to as stable, they are just wrong. Now if you are running a AR15 in 223 with inexpensive glass and are on a budget, go with what you can. Just don’t expect it to be a setup you can zero from

I picked up a gitzo carbon fiber on Craigslist and use a RRS bh55 I think is the model for standing stuff. For sitting I have a light weight slik carbon fiber that I use for glassing while standing and works great for sitting height with rifle. I mount arca plates on my rifles instead of using clamps.

Picked up a camera tripod at a garage sale. Can use it from sitting to standing. Just made a mount to put on top, and good go to. all of $30. It's not carbon fiber light, but gets the job done.

I use the newest gen of Primos trigger sticks. I think they are too expensive but they are well made.
I use the tall version and stand when night hunting ... the shorter version for sitting during day hunts. Results may vary.

There is a reason Night Goggles can't keep the Night Stalker in stock. Do yourself a favor and buy a fantastic product from a great sponsor of this site. Night Stalker . The carbon fiber makes this so light. If you need more stability, go for the Night Stalker Pro.

I had a night stalker. It was fine for the money. I had some issues with the ball head pan and Tom covered it no questions asked. I sold it for what I paid because the person didn't want to wait.

I switched to a Slik 700 and a Vault Ourdoors Wrecking Ball ballhead and in my opinion it is more steady but it is heavier and I believe more expensive.

https://vaultoutdoors.com/collections/frontpage

What about the Bogg Night Stalker? I was thinking of buying one but concerned that it will not sit low enough when sitting down. From what I have seen the legs will need to be way out to bring it down to sitting level. Not sure if it would work in tight sitting locations

I just use a mid range Vanguard tripod topped with a Kopfager Industries reaper grip. It works just fine, extends as tall as I need to be standing up at night. Carbon Fiber would be nice but I just couldn't justify the costs when this worked fine.

After spending 8k on thermal optics I was looking to save money other places and this was one of them.

Originally Posted By: andrews1958What about the Bogg Night Stalker? I was thinking of buying one but concerned that it will not sit low enough when sitting down. From what I have seen the legs will need to be way out to bring it down to sitting level. Not sure if it would work in tight sitting locations Not sure what a Bogg Night Stalker Is? There is the Night Stalker from Night Goggles. This will go about as low as you want. You can even remove the center stalk and go prone if you like. I sit on 99% of my stands and I use the Night Stalker. You also mentioned the word Bogg. The company Bog makes a lot of tripods but only Night Goggles has the Night Stalker. I used a Bog FieldPod in the past, and it was OK, but much bulkier.

Back