Calm before the storm

Snowshoes

With a forecast of heavy snow starting mid morning followed with wind and snow by noon, I had to make the couple hours of “calm before the storm” count.
Coyote trails combined with multiple slough bottoms and a packed snowmobile trail seemed to be a good choice of locations and that’s where I would head this morning.
A gloomy looking sky of dark threating clouds were evident as I walked towards my lookout location. As I crested the last hill top, I felt the brunt of the strong northerly breeze in my face and although there was no snow falling yet, you could tell it was just a matter of time before the white feathery flakes would appear.
Fifteen minutes of glassing the landscape after settling into my stadium seat produces a group of four coyotes to the northwest but their route of travel didn’t include going via my location. A slight “sigh” as I watched the last one of the group enter the far off trees.
The breeze had kicked up to a steady wind and my optimism of seeing travelling coyotes was fading quickly. More glassing of a coyote void landscape wasn’t helping the situation and thoughts of a quick departure seemed inevitable.
But, before I could reach for my backpack, I see a coyote coming across the field and heading for the slough directly in front of me. The coyote quickly covers the distance and as it enters the cattails, I take the opportunity to get the rifle re-positioned and zoom the scope up.
Cautiously the coyote exits from the cattails and stops on the frozen surface to look the area over. With cross hairs placed on its chest, a touch of the trigger sending a 52 gr. Berger from the 223 on its way. The bullet flies true, bringing the count to 71 coyotes. Ranged the shot at 169 yards.

With coyote in tow, the snow held off until I was almost back to the truck but when the clouds did open up, the snow came with vengeance. Now with my truck in sight, I took a quick look at my back trail which revealed snows covering my footprints almost as fast as them being made. Will be interesting to see what tomorrows weather conditions are.

Originally Posted By: emptymagHow much snow did you end up with?
Hard to tell with the 40 mph winds blowing but likely only 8 inches to a foot. I had a 3 foot deep drift behind the garage doors and some 4 foot deep drifts in the yard. Spent 3 hours with the shovel and snowblower cleaning out my yard. Never did go hunting Sunday morning.

Congrats on #71. Nice to have a little clam, but that's not what you wanted. More Coyotes please Snowshoes says. Again thanks for the great picture and story to bring us along on your hunts.

Back