Scope for AR

Bling

As I've noted on other threads I've created im not real familiar with AR at all. So I'm curious on what yall have for scopes besides thermals. I got a 223 wylde in hand now to build and should have a 6.5 grendel next week. A thermal will be on the 6.5 but what to do for the 223 I'm not sure? I have zeiss conquest 3x9x40 on my other bolt guns and I have a swaro z3.2.5x10x42 just settin in a box. Im scared to use it. Do yall put just normal scopes on your AR or do you need tougher built scopes or shorter or what? The 223 will just be a gun to just shoot for giggles and fun.

Im running an older Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16×40 in a Weaver MSR Mount, caliber is .223...i use mine for precision target shooting and for groundhogs and predators here in PA and MD...i guess it depends on ur purpose for the rifle.

I am planning to build another upper specifically for a night vision setup as my rifle shoots so well in current configuration and my muzzle device isnt suited for nighttime use, so for me, it doesnt make sense to change anything on the current upper.

That said a 3-9 or 2-10 would do just fine. I like alittle more magnification for groundhogs and targets. I rarely turn the scope up that high, but nice to have when needed.
So the 16x works great for me.

My scoped AR rifles have a mix of Leupold Mk IV's, Vari-X III's, or Vortex Viper PST's, all 30mm tubes.

As far as mounts go, I like the 1-piece mounts by LaRue, Midwest Industries, Leupold, and Burris. They have a forward offset to allow the scope to sit forward thus providing proper eye relief.

Some examples...

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptMy scoped AR rifles have a mix of Leupold Mk IV's, Vari-X III's, or Vortex Viper PST's, all 30mm tubes.

As far as mounts go, I like the 1-piece mounts by LaRue, Midwest Industries, Leupold, and Burris. They have a forward offset to allow the scope to sit forward thus providing proper eye relief.

Some examples...

That looks good sir. Thsnks for the help

Normal scopes work just fine. I use VX-3s on mine. I usually go for the 50mm objective on the ARs because there’s enough clearance with the mounts I use. You’re Z3 would be fine and dandy on yours. For mounts, I use Aero Precision. The are great in my opinion and lightweight.

Ditto on the aero precison mounts ... I believe they weigh less than 4oz and very strong. Like the reply above, the scope depends on use. On my coyote rifle I run a leupold VX-R in 2-7-33 with fire dot. I use the low power a lot, esp at night...the dot is great at night.

I like the Nikon mounts. Very light weight. Any scope will work for an AR. One thing I've learned [beeep] is that I don't really care a lot for a lot of eye relief on an AR. I took my VX Freedom off one due to that. It worked but I preferred a little less.

Redfield 2x7

I like the Redfield 2x7 scopes. So much that i have 2. The glass is excellent for the price.

I use Warne MSR mounts but many will work fine. For critters and targets this is an excellent scope.

Excellent warranty, light and smallish package, good price & great to shoot with.

For some reason 7 power is just perfect for me.

Put your Swarovski on there, that power range is my preferred power for fast up close shots and still able to go up 10x if needed for longer shots. But YMMV.

This is a tricky one for me. I won’t have any answers for you but just agreeing that picking an optic for an AR can be tricky. I can’t find something I love behind ARs yet.
Maybe because I don’t have what I want to do with each one defined specifically if that makes sense.
Got a swfa 1-6 hd on a Seekins 6.8spc that is ok. Good clear glass but not thrilled about it. I’ll probably keep it on it though.
Got a swfa fixed 10x on a 18” Seekins 223.
Got an EOTECH and MRO.
I just tried an Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 on a Seekins 308/sp-10. I thought I would love that because the glass looked good but it’s all just.....I don’t know....OK? Ha.
I think the vortex razor Gen iii 1-10 seems great but too rich for me at this point.

Two that I think would be great because I could get them in illuminated reticles would be the bushnell lrtsi 3-12 or 4.5-18 and the Steiner p4xi 4-16. Haven’t tried those yet but would like to.

I have one with Nikon monarch m223 3-12 which I really like one with aimpoint red dot which I also like allot. My third is left open sights for hunting heave brush. For scope mount I love the aero precision one peace.

I have 9 AR's total, not all pictured. Only a couple really do any hunting. I prefer a magnified variable optic for that role.

If the AR is just going to be a "fun" gun, I would run iron sights or sights with a cheaper red dot. No sense getting carried away with optics if you only take it out to play with. Optics get expensive and you can use that to buy ammo instead. Irons are very capable for defense if need be as well, no issues there.

If you do want a reddot, Vortex makes a really good one for $200. If you can afford it, my go-to is the Aimpoint PRO, preferably in a good QD mount like a Larue LT150. I now own 4 of the PROs and have been very pleased with them.

I picked up a Trijicon TA11F-G this week to build a defensive carbine with a magnified optic that could double as a predator rifle, so if a scope is what you want, you could go that route (not necessarily to that extreme, cheaper versions are out there).

If you are stictly looking at a hunting gun, I would put a low powered variable on it of your choice and see how you like it. The Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 would be an excellent choice.

WZ1fykj.jpg

IEldZRl.jpg

Last edited:
Back