What BCG

shepman

Purchased a toolcraft for my last rifle and so far so good. I have thought about trying something different for the next rifle and was curious what other people prefer.

Griffin armament enhanced bcg is the nicest I've used but besides the griffin I've always used stock plain old phosphate(?).

Which ever brand you chose I think the nitride finish is worth the extra few dolllars.

Cleaning is good but quality of materiel is important. I prefer 9310 steel bolts. Young has a great reputation in the shooting world and he is very helpful to me.

Greg

I've never noticed any accuracy difference, and if I shot an AR with phosphate, nickel boron or nitride I would never be able to tell what bcg I was shooting.

I like the griffin armament because the nitride finish, it's easily cleaned witha wipe of a rag(any bcg can be wiped with a rag) and now after 1200-1500 shots it's now starting to show the typical signs of wear on the finish that a phosphate would show at maybe 300 rounds.

Mil Spec BCG's from Colt, BCM & Daniel Defense brands are good. You can get those from Brownells.

Brownells brand BCG's are good also. They are much cheaper and will be fine for hunting.

There are many Gucci brand BCG's also.

Chrome is amazing. Mil-Spec was chrome way back when. Unfortunately the process was much more difficult in those times as the technology was not there in the 60's. It is now.

Young Manufacturing makes nice BCG's. As do many others.

Here is a link to a video that talks about a small portion of what is available out there.

F30

If you are on a budget, and want the best product/warranty for the price, buy a Brownells BCG in one of the many available finishes. Salt Bath Nitrade, Chrome or Phosphate. All will work to fine.

If you want top of the line, there is no best. Just tiers of quality that have slightly different features.

BCG's all need to be cleaned and lubed.

It’s interesting that so many people get all worked up over staking and the young mfg isn’t even staked. I do like the idea of the permatex on them.

Get chrome I would get rra if doing a 223. The last one I bought was a tool craft nickel boron. Really wish it was chrome instead. Nickel boron looks pretty when new. Imo it’s no better than a standard parkerized once it has a bunch of rounds through them

I bought a PSA nitride bolt carrier group for a new build, about a year and a half ago on sale for $5o. It has been great and wipes clean unlike my other parkerized BCGs. No way can I beat the value.

Originally Posted By: shepmanPurchased a toolcraft for my last rifle and so far so good. I have thought about trying something different for the next rifle and was curious what other people prefer.

I say stick with toolcraft. I see them as a standard for good quality BCG's. Palmetto State Armory premium BCG's are made by Toolcraft. They almost always have them on sale or with free shipping, if you wanna save some money.

Back