Which Bullet?

I hear the hunting video guys like to say "Smoked'em ".....

grin.gif

I have given my opinion here on this forum relating to this topic a number of times so many of you know I am a Barnes bullet fan because of the performance I have had with them on larger elk size game. I am also a fan of the high shoulder shot and always have been.

With Barnes bullets, you will get pass throughs most of the time as they are not designed to enter the animal, explode and come apart. They are designed to open up in 4 distinct petals and leave a devastating wound channel with the energy being transferred to the animal along the entire wound channel. Since they are an all copper bullet, they retain the majority of their weight and that is why most shots are pass throughs.

Of all the animals I have taken with Barnes bullets, I have only recovered one bullet.

There are a lot of great bullets out there today, I just happen to use Barnes in my big game calibers. I would have no problem using others but as you reloaders know, when you get a load worked up with components that all work together, you tend to stay with it. Or at least that has been my approach.

To the OP, if you are not settled on any one bullet yet, Barnes should definitely be on your list to at least try.

Last edited:
I have never got to ELk hunt and now at my age probably never will. But I used Barnes bullets for the first time this year in my 270 WIn. on whitetail and was very impressed with the performance. I plan on using them again in the upcoming season as well.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have never got to ELk hunt and now at my age probably never will. But I used Barnes bullets for the first time this year in my 270 WIn. on whitetail and was very impressed with the performance. I plan on using them again in the upcoming season as well.

Do they appear to run hot? That's important.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotnever heard anybody say "man, that bullet burned right through that coyote"

but i am going to start using it. yes i am.
tongue_smilie.gif

Boring..... You need say "torched a hole through that coyote"
tt2.gif

Among other things, this heat theory might account for the, "I hit him with a bullet from Old Betsy and he was instant toast."

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotnever heard anybody say "man, that bullet burned right through that coyote"

but i am going to start using it. yes i am.
tongue_smilie.gif

Boring..... You need say "torched a hole through that coyote"
tt2.gif

i do like yours better.

goes along with "smoked em"

Originally Posted By: JoeyJ
That energy you speak of is "heat" energy, not kinetic energy, so there is no "wasted energy" on a complete pass through.

If this is true, what energy propels the bullet out of the animal on a pass thru?

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: JoeyJ
That energy you speak of is "heat" energy, not kinetic energy, so there is no "wasted energy" on a complete pass through.

If this is true, what energy propels the bullet out of the animal on a pass thru?

That question is approaching Area 51 type stuff.... I doubt that not even JoeyJ can answer that without special clearance from well above his pay grade.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.I've never had a Barnes not work properly, and have been using them since 1992, and I have never recovered a Barnes out of a big game animal.

I used Nosler Partitions from my very first biggame hunt, in 1970, until I tried Barnes in 1992.

A 140gr Barnes TTSX or TSX out of your 7mm Mag will work wonders on any elk.

I went to Alaska this year and my brother's friend was shooting 180gr Barnes TTSX 180gr and we found it under the hide of the Caribou with No Expansion only the plastic tip missing. You could wipe it off and reload it.
I was unimpressed. But it was just one bullet.

Back