Night calling firearm options

Plain and simple,

I had the same problem for several years. Grendel or 243 will fix 80 % of your problems with no other changes.
There will be a bunch of people come back and say things about bullet placement, shoot better angles and “they’ve never had a problem” and such. But the facts are, you will kill more with bigger, or faster bullets. Bigger and faster together are much better.

Just facts!

I've got a 224V but only killed 1 with it last year with and 88gr ELD. Didn't go far after hitting it on the run and had a very good blood trail (in the snow) from impact to recovery. I've got some 75gr ELDs loaded up but haven't connected with one yet.

I recently shot one with at 200 yards w/ my 6.5 Creedmoor and a 95gr vmax and it was DRT. Only the one, but impressive so far.

For the OP, in my opinion I'd try a different bullet in your situation. Unless you're just looking for that little nudge to get a new rifle
thumbup.gif

I'd try changing bullets. I personally haven't had any go anywhere shooting them in the chest or neck with a 50 or 55gr. v-max either one but it wouldn't hurt to try something else. There's really nothing there to shatter a v-max on impact except meat so if a softpoint or hollowpoint still doesn't work I'd say one of two things are happening. You're missing or slightly off left or right and hitting the edges of the coyotes. I've seen one get away from a shot to the "chest" which actually ended up being a shot to the shoulder. Not saying you're a horrible shot I'm just saying you may be hitting somewhere other than you initially thought.

Yeah if I say so myself I'm usually a pretty good shot but I may be getting a case of "coyote fever" and rushing when they come in. I try to bark at them to stop em but they never seem to sit still long. Deer just seem to just stand there and let you shoot them lol

Back