Can I build an AR for $400.00?

pyscodog

There's a store in Tulsa that sells shop built AR's for $399.99. I'm sure most is mil spec parts but so are some of the others with bigger names. I know from past AR's the trigger will suck. A set of JP springs and a little polishing will help or even a new trigger. It has some decent parts on it and looks good. I was thinking worse case scenario would be a new quality barrel. So, can I buy the parts and build one that cheap?

Last edited:
Yes, last build was right at 300. All clearance and black friday sales. Barrel was a new 18" cm from gunbroker shipped for 80.00. That one shoots under moa from bench with handloads.

Yes, you can. It’s not difficult in the current economic environment to build an AR for under $400.

The question I would advise you ask yourself - why would you want a $400 AR?

I made a living building AR’s for a while, and still build a dozen or so for others each year. I’ve seen a large number of folks very excited up front to build an AR, especially a low budget Mil-spec carbine, since that’s the advice so many fools regurgitate online, then quickly realize the novelty of a $400 noisemaker wears off pretty quickly. So I’d get the same folks back 6mos to a year later asking 1 of 3 questions: I don’t shoot this thing any more, 1) can you spend more of my money to make it more useful, 2) can you spend more of my money to build an upper or rifle which is more useful, and/or 3) can you help me sell this because I never use it? (Or would you buy this from me?) As a person with at least some sense of moral character, I advise everyone who asks about a cheap carbine to really think about how much use they’ll have for it, and how much fun they’ll really have burning money in the form of cheap ammo and loud noises. Some folks love it, but most folks find they want more from their rifle. Whether smaller groups, longer range, hunting capability, action competition capability, what have you. The 16” Mil-spec carbine is far and away the most popular option on the market, but in my experience, it’s the least suited for any given purpose. But hey, you can build one for about $250 if you dig hard enough.

I had a Colt years ago and wasn't impressed with it very much. My next was a RRA Predator that shot as well as most bolt rifles. I got talked out of it, like a dummy. Had a couple of others that weren't very accurate either. Next best to the RRA was a Stag. It shot decent but nothing compared to the RRA. I figure the $399 rifle is just the main parts and will need a quality barrel although the guy said the used Green Mountain barrels. Maybe a 50/50 shot as it being an accurate rifle. I did a little looking today on the internet and most uppers were that price or more and that wasn't anything special. I prefer bolt action rifles but thinking about adding an AR just to have one.

Why would you? Cheap ARs are just that.
Rock River is still making fine rifles.
There is Windham (Old Bushmaster)they do a great job.
You get a warranty.

These rifles use Anderson lowers. Not sure about the upper but I talked to the owner again today and he said they use Green Mountain barrels w/key mod hand guards. Triggers are typical mil spec that come in most AR's. I don't think they are total junk parts. As far as warranty, he said he stands behind everything he sells, and he's local. I realize they aren't RRA's but they don't cost $1100 either. I was just thinking a new Rise trigger ($100) and worse case a new barrel (+/- $200), still cheaper than a RRA and should shoot pretty good.

Since he's local, you can put hands on one to see fit, finish, and feel. If you like it, it's pretty low risk. Replace trigger for sure and barrel maybe. Sure beats ordering a cheapie online without really knowing.

Originally Posted By: MerditSince he's local, you can put hands on one to see fit, finish, and feel. If you like it, it's pretty low risk. Replace trigger for sure and barrel maybe. Sure beats ordering a cheapie online without really knowing.

He has a store in Tulsa,lots of AR's and parts to build with. He's been coming to the shows for several years now and I think he must be pretty straight up or he wouldn't be doing as well.

For your first AR15 buy a Rockriver Arms. They are one of the few Mfg that guarantee 1 inch group with factory ammo.
You can buy a nice 16 inch barrel one for 850.00. After you get a good shooter then buy some cheaper ones. I bought a Bear Creek 7.62x39 last week for 365.00. Free shipping. Could not believe it but Saturday it shot 1 1/8 groups at 100 yards with Tula 122 gr steel cases ammo. Some times you get lucky on a lower priced gun. I will say thou that Bear Creek is putting out a good gun that is accurate. Freind bought one before I did. Shooting the same groups. MD

$400 for an upgraded, while maybe not premium barrel, free float handguard, and any optionality for customization - including corresponding price increases - is pretty good. Poverty pony lowers and uppers, a cheap clearance keymod, milspec LPK, yeah, you could build it for $300-350 if you really pushed. He’s probably making $50 on each of those, for about an hour’s worth of work to assemble it. If you don’t have tools yet, or if you value your time in any way, it’s probably a push. If you like it and have the cash in hand, you can probably do worse.

I'm not an experienced AR guy, but I can tell you this. I ordered a DPMS oracle from a place in Lincoln, NE called DE guns straight off their website and had it sent to my buddy who's an FFL. It was $399 and by the time I paid the transfer fee, tax and shipping it was still under $450.

That gun plain shoots. It shoots 52gr Speer HP hand loads 3/4" most days and never worse than an inch. It shoots 75gr Speer Gold dots just as good if not better. During load development I had several loads under or at 1 MOA.

I did spend $12 of a JP trigger spring and $15 on a new handrail only because I like the look of a 15" handrail on a 16" carbine. It's been over a year and I finally put a Hogue grip on it for $18. The only thing I modified that helped with accuracy was the cheapest after market upgrade; the trigger spring kit.

I have a brand new MDWS 6mm Mongoose upper that I traded a CZ527 Varmint Laminate .223 for (and he gave me $100 and a set of hornady dies) and put it in a $210 PSA Nickel-Boron 2 state trigger Magpul STR lower on. Not super expensive stuff, but the upper has a great barrel on it.

BOTH AR's are super accurate. The mongoose out shoots the DPMS most days, but not by much. Considering that the Mongoose is over $700 after a charging handle, BCG, and lower I'd buy another DPMS in a heart beat.

To me the real question is why would you build one when you can skip all the steps and get a decent one for under $450?

To each his own, but not all $450 AR's are made the same.

I have built/assembled several AR's with used and or inexpensive parts and have yet to have one not shoot better than 1 1/4 with factory ammo. Most do better than that. For a calling rifle where most shots (for me) are usually well inside 100 yrds, i see no need to spend big bucks on big names.

For home defense, high volume training , or colony varmints ....different story.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThese rifles use Anderson lowers. Not sure about the upper but I talked to the owner again today and he said they use Green Mountain barrels w/key mod hand guards. Triggers are typical mil spec that come in most AR's. I don't think they are total junk parts. As far as warranty, he said he stands behind everything he sells, and he's local. I realize they aren't RRA's but they don't cost $1100 either. I was just thinking a new Rise trigger ($100) and worse case a new barrel (+/- $200), still cheaper than a RRA and should shoot pretty good.
Are you talking about Advanced Combat?If so my son and I have bought several uppers a scope and various parts from them and a friend bought one of the $399 rifles from them and has been happy with it.I have a Rise Armament trigger in my bull barrel AR and like it a lot,plus it's made local in Broken Arrow.

Originally Posted By: catmechOriginally Posted By: pyscodogThese rifles use Anderson lowers. Not sure about the upper but I talked to the owner again today and he said they use Green Mountain barrels w/key mod hand guards. Triggers are typical mil spec that come in most AR's. I don't think they are total junk parts. As far as warranty, he said he stands behind everything he sells, and he's local. I realize they aren't RRA's but they don't cost $1100 either. I was just thinking a new Rise trigger ($100) and worse case a new barrel (+/- $200), still cheaper than a RRA and should shoot pretty good.
Are you talking about Advanced Combat?If so my son and I have bought several uppers a scope and various parts from them and a friend bought one of the $399 rifles from them and has been happy with it.I have a Rise Armament trigger in my bull barrel AR and like it a lot,plus it's made local in Broken Arrow.

Yep! Thats them. I live about a mile away from Rise.

Originally Posted By: DEFCONI bought a ar-223 wilde from BCA for $389.00 My hand loads are grouping 2 moa @ 250yds.

A complete rifle or just an upper?

Back