73 gr Hornady ELD Match ? Free to me

Lodgepole

These were a gift .I am mainly a predator hunter and will see how these do on paper in my 8 twist AR 556 .My 8th addition Hornady manual has no data on this bullet. Labeled as match are they going to be something that would expand at all on coyotes from 0 to 200 Yds ?

I don't know about that particular weight but I have never seen an eldm or the older amax that didnt expand. They expand violently and kill extremely well. My favorite bullet from 52 gr all the way through 140s coyotes or big game.

arlaunch, I think you hit the nail on the head... I believe the 73 grain Eldm Hornady was for shorter magazine designs and/or more jump tolerant.

Kind of like 77 gr MK works well in short pals while 69 MK likes to be seated longer and closer to lands.

Studying the advertised BC s can help you spot those unique characteristics too.

I load my .22-250 Ackley with 73gr ELD-M and H4350 to 3345fps. I shot a prairie dog two weeks ago and it just exploded it. I don't think it even exited the dog. Granted it was slowed down over a distance, but even at that it was still very explosive.

Acronin,thanks for that info. That is a surprise ,shows me how wrong I can be by assuming one match bullet of a different brand can be from another. My experience has only been with the #1410 Sierra HPBT match and they have been tough (good fur bullet with small exit ).How far was the PD ? That is moving right along for a 73 Gr !

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleAcronin,thanks for that info. That is a surprise ,shows me how wrong I can be by assuming one match bullet of a different brand can be from another. My experience has only been with the #1410 Sierra HPBT match and they have been tough (good fur bullet with small exit ).How far was the PD ? That is moving right along for a 73 Gr !

The prairie dog was 400yds almost on the dot.

you'll need 10th edition to have data for them - they're a newer(ish) bullet.

im guessing these were designed for a tipped heavy match bullet thats loadable in 223/556 to mag length - which the 75gr AMax/ELD-M isnt due to its profile. at 2.250 the ogive of the 75gr is inside the case mouth from what i understand.

75gr amax/ELD-M OAL = 2.390
73gr ELD-M OAL = 2.250

if it helps they both are listed under the same published data set for 223 service rifle. and a quick cross reference back to my 8th edition seems to be matching data so you should be able to use it as a start reference point and work up from there by following standard safe load development practices.

the 5.56 loads in 10th edition are a little hotter than the 223 service rifle loads fwiw.

i highly recommend plunking down the few $ for 10th edition... besides offering their new bullets there's also data there for a larger list of powders with their classic bullet offerings.

HTH

Back