Joining the suppressed team... in the next 11 months

LLWaterfowl

Thanks in large part to the information on this forum, I went in this weekend and put my first suppressor in jail.

My wife and I were in DFW for the weekend for a wedding, on the drive down there I let her know I wanted to make a quick detour Saturday morning and get it started. She went to Defender Outdoors with me and we had a great time interacting with the staff there. I had a trust already from previous SBR builds, but wanted to make this process as easy as possible... silencershop kiosks made it very, very easy to do. I honestly can't say enough about that convenience.

Anyhow. I have shot a buddy's TBAC 7, 9, SilencerCo Omega 300, SilencerCo Harvester, and a few from Dead Air. I shot them all on my rifle just to get an idea for how they sounded and felt over the past few weeks. I was honestly pretty open to any of those make/models when I walked in, but was committed to TBAC if they had one. Of course they did not, so I took a SilencerCo Omega 300 instead. I think i'll be very happy with that choice.

Now the next question... keep the 22" barrel on the 6.5 creedmoor I'm going to be primarily hunting with, or chop it on down to something around the 18" mark. Since it might make a difference in your opinion, I will also say that I intend to use this rifle for coyotes, white tail, audad.. basically anything less than elk size. I also do PRS matches with it.

Thoughts? Opinions?

If you're doing PRS matches with that barrel and doing well, then don't cut it. You'll probably regret it. I don't think you'll be bothered by the extra 7 inches. Just my opinion. It's worth trying to see what works for you before you hack the barrel. You can't go back if it goes sour. Congratulations on joining the quiet world.

I personally have no problems with a 22" barrel plus my Harvester, but it's wide open country here. The extra length just isn't an issue at all with the way I hunt.

If I were hunting from a vehicle, or in tight brush I may feel differently.

My rifles were dialed in for accuracy before a can ever got attached. Length might make a bigger difference on velocity. That in turn "could" effect accuracy, but...
I like the length and deal with it.

Back