300 Weatherby & 110 grain V-Max - should I do it?

TN Lone Wolf

When my grandfather died, he left me a German-made Weatherby Mark V chambered in 300 Weatherby. Although I'm a handgun hunter at heart, this past season I used the Weatherby to harvest a doe in his memory.

This past fall, my local store had some discounted boxes of .308" 110 grain V-Max bullets. I wanted to try some out of the 300, if only to see what kind of speeds I could get and whether they would even be accurate.

If I can make a decent load, do you think I should try to get a coyote with it, just to see what kind of damage it'll do? I'll definitely wait until much later in the year when they lose their winter fur.

hornady's 10th has load data... so why not
smile.gif

there's data for varget, Imr 4350, Accurate 4350, RL15 and Imr 4320

id love to see what that bullet does at close to 4000 fps when it meets meat! LOL

thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

My buddy runs them in a 300 WM at right around 3700ish. Any faster in his 10 twist and they streak the paper at 100. Sierra 110 hollow points seem to be tougher. Had a buddy run some out of a custom 30-338 lapua improved just for fun and they hit like a freight train on steel at 200

Barrel life is short in these big Weatherby's. In memory of your PaPa, you may want to develop a load for deer, verify zero from time to time, just hunt with it.

Turning it into a varmint rifle may leade to a burned out barrel for sure.

Your party, good luck!

I have a pretty good pile of 110 vmax, and they have always shot very well in anything I've tried. A buddy has a 300 RUM and launched some pdogs with them, of course utter devastation. He had to back off of max because they didn't always make it to the target.

It would cut a coyote in half more often than not I bet. Could be interesting. But I don't think I'd do it with an heirloom rifle either, like Keith said.

I've already got a super accurate load that pushes a 150 grain SST to 3,350 fps. The 1-12" twist just doesn't seem to like anything heavier, at least the ones I've tried, and hopefully wouldn't be as hard on the 110 grain bullets as the usual 1-10" barrels. It wouldn't be a common occurrence, just a handful of rounds to test pressures, velocity, and accuracy, as well as to sight it in.

I got the itch to try something similar years ago. I worked up a load for my .300 Winchester shooting 125gr TNTs at an even 3600fps. Given how impressive the little 50gr TNTs are, I could only imagine what 125 grains of that same medicine would do. I figured I’d need to shoot a coyote lengthwise to actually capture all that energy. For whatever reason, I never did kill anything with that load. It was a fun project though.

Ive done this with decent accuracy results, actually.

I was pushing them around 3625fps from my Weatherby Vanguard and used them on a prairie dog town a few times. It wasn't fun becasue you couldn't see impact and to be honest it wasn't any worse than shooting them with a 55gr Vmax from a .22-250.

I think the 110gr bullet doesn't hit anything solid enough to make a mess out of them and I think the bullet went straight through.

My experiance...when I was much younger an enamered with 300Weatherby spped I loaded 130 bullets for antelope. I remember the vel at around 3700. Lost the front half of that animal shooting at 150yrds. Learned a good lesson about bullet performance and selection. I'd do it again for P dogs but not for deer unless a head shot. JMHO .... enjoy the speed.

I've had good accuracy with these in my 30-06. I don't have a chrony, so have no idea what velocity I have. Kills prairie dogs real dead
smile.gif

Back