Double Trouble

DoubleUp

We called in a pair tonight, but flubbed it. My partner was supposed to whoa them and then we were to count one, two, and fire on three mental count. My bolt was partially raised and my rifle wouldn't fire. He missed his coyote, but I didn't know it.

He kept shooting (which he never shoots runners) trying to kill his dog, but I could tell mine was trying to stop and then he would shoot again. I finally got him to quit shooting. His dog stopped and he made a great 300 yd. shot on it. I missed just over the head of mine on a running shot going almost straight away. Here is a picture of his coyote-a female.

IMG_0601 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video:

Your shot was very close to connecting. If most people waited, they could take a standing shot at 300 vs a running shot at 200. At least for me, the odds are better odds when they stop. I am a bit surprised they stopped again after being shot at that many times, but it worked.

I agree Kirsch, and my partner never shoots running coyotes until this one. I think he was flustered because he knew he blew what should have been a kill. I could tell by the body language that the one I was tracking wanted to stop in spite of the shooting.

Back