.204 Caliber 55 Grain Berger Hollow Points Load Data/Applications?

gunsbam45

I'm considering trying these bullets in a fast twist .204, and am curious what experience others have had with that configuration, as well as other cases they've run these in. Would love to hear what kind of treatment they give hides on coyotes near and far, and on bobcat also. Love to hear what loads guys are running, regardless of what case they're running in. I have a friend who has several guns short, long and in between barrels running the .222 Mag necked up to .257 with 75 grain, I think VMAX, and 90 grain Sierra hollowpoints, and has been in love with the round for years. He also has a couple ARs running the 75 grainer based on the 223. It's made me curious to try the 55 Berger on the .204 standard case. I've also wondered if there's any gain to be had by improving the .204 case, and if anyone has done it, and what were results. Berger recommends 8 twist for them, but I've heard some say 9 twist works just fine, so wonder if 9 is on the ragged edge just like 12 twist with the 40 grain VMAX. My 700 has a true 12 twist, and will group the 40s a bit over an inch to 1.5". My Kimber measures out at 12 5/16, and it's lucky to do 3", and you can see the yawing and often keyholing doubletaps on paper with the 40 VMAX.

Last edited:
The 204 is already a fairly straight-ish case with, I think, a 30 degree shoulder so I'm not sure you're really going to gain a whole lot by "improving" it.

The 55gr Bergers will shoot fine from most things with a 9tw but you won't get the full BC of the bullet with a 9tw and that's per Berger's bullet techs.

I built my 20-250 with an 8tw Krieger to specifically shoot the Berger 55's.

The beauty of the 204 case is that it's à improved version of the 222 Rem Mag and feeds slicker than snot and you can build on it without having to fire form. You can with a little modding use off the shelf dies to load any cat you want to build.

I built a 25-204 right after the 204 came out in 2005. I was going to build a 257 Kimber/25-222 RM Improved but with the 204 case could accomplish the same thing much easier just necking up the Ruger.

I like it so much i build a 22-204 and à 6mm-204 the 22-204 is one of my favorite pelt hunting rounds and the 25 is my go-to deer rifle. The 6mm just got rebarreled to 20 Practical as I also have. 6x45.

you might want to check to see if you can get the 20cal. 55gr. berger they quit making them, but powder valley had them do a big order on them they might have some left.
I had built a 204 around that bullet and then they quit making them.

Grafs has them. They got Berger to do a run, and some guys have said they talked to Berger, and were told Grafs will be doing it with them yearly so long as they're able to keep moving them.

Lilja offers a 7 twist 20 cal barrel which I would consider if I was going to shoot 55's or even 35's. Their 9 Twist would be the slowest I would consider, but that's just me.

Originally Posted By: zr600Check out blackhole bullets too he makes custom bullets and has some heavier for cal 20s.

I'll bet Blaine's 53gr.hp. would be worth a test drive. His 30gr. 17cal. and 37gr. 20cal. bullets are great.

Originally Posted By: K22Originally Posted By: zr600Check out blackhole bullets too he makes custom bullets and has some heavier for cal 20s.

I'll bet Blaine's 53gr.hp. would be worth a test drive. His 30gr. 17cal. and 37gr. 20cal. bullets are great.

Just had a look at his site. If there is anyone else making other quality bullets, I'd love to hear about it. I'm going to ask him about the 45 HP. Might be right about 22-250 velocity with that one with a better BC. I think the biggest thing for me is going to be figuring out what bullet and powder recipe is going to give me the best results on cat hides while still being an effective coyote killer at the furthest range possible. I'm hearing a lot of praises to the 35 Berger HP from several angles, but some say it starts winding down in whoop factor after 300. I'll be trying them and see what gives.

I've ran both the 55 Berger and Blain's 45 & 53gr out of my 20br and 20-250 mostly on groundhogs but I have taken a couple of coyotes with the Berger 55's the Berger's were all DRT on coyotes.
I haven't used any of the blackhole bullets on coyotes but on groundhogs they didn't seem to expand as good as the Berger's

I have a 204 Ai and it’s my favorite gun I run the 55 berger at 3600 out of it and is a deaths day for coyotes and really fur friendly. I have only had one exit the size of a 50 cent piece because of a bad hit but most ya can’t tell where they were hit. I have ran the 40 berger up to 4200 no problem.

Back