Advantages/Disadvantages of a scope with adjustable objective?

Easy solution. When hunting simply keep it set at 100 yards. Then it will perform exaxtly as a non-adjustable scope. At least you have the option to adjust it.

Agreed that on a 3-9x type hunting scope it's not worth it, and you'll find very few of those scopes that offer it for that reason. A/O comes in handy for long range and high magnification.

I like the front objectives on my scopes, they have more adjustment.

I have one non A.O. pentax 3-9 lightseeker in the safe, battle tank of a scope.

my 223 AO stays on 250, my 17HMR SF stays on 200, no matter what the true distance is. Last place I see the crosshairs on the coyote when my rifle goes bang is exactly where the hole is when I get to the coyote. my 17 left on 200 I have killed things from 30 yards to 275 so far.

t/c223encore.

In relation to all this...

I recently bought a scope from academy for my deer hunting rifle. I didn't think much about it, but when I got home I figured out it was a fixed parallax at 60 yards.

I plan on taking shots up to 250 yards from the rifle. Should I return the scope and buy something else?

If the scope is less than 12x, and you like it. Keep it, the error between focal planes inside 250 yards in low magnification scopes is very small.

I ve always felt adjustable objectives slower to Fuchs in my experience. That said you typically can get a better image/clarity with more time though.

Jim Carmichel wrote years ago to just set your AO on 200yds for varmint hunting and you're set for any distance. I took his advice and it does work well, shooting from the bench is when I adjust it for different distances for both my centerfire and rimfire rifles.

Back