Pulsar Trail XQ38 - Zero and Missing

TXCOONDOG

Made two stands this morning between 1am-4am and within 10minutes I called a Bobcat in at 25yds.

Took a shot (tripod), missed, and it ran off into the brush. Waited 20minutes and started calling and the bobcat reappeared at 75yards....shot and missed.....[beeep]!

Went to my second stand. Started calling on a pipeline and two coyotes popped out of the brush within 30yards and shot and missed. Not sure what’s going, but I decided to go home.

I’ve missed before, but I’m 90% sure it was not me. However, Going to the range later to verify that the thermal is still zeroed at 50yards (6.8 SPC II)

I zeroed in Nov and tonight was the first night I’ve been able to go. Can’t ask for a better calling night (calm, wind in my face, etc) other than connecting on each shot which I typically do from 15-200 yards.

Anyway, Other than the possibilities of it being me; any issues with Pulsar and/or other thermal units loosing zero ?

FYI- The unit is not loose and I was on the right zero. However, when I opened the stream vision app to watch the videos, I received a prompt that there is a firmware update for bug fixes, etc.

Originally Posted By: ToroMy xq38 does not hold zero and will be going back. This is the 3rd trail I’ve owned with this problem.

Any idea what the issues are ?

As far as temperatures go, it was 28 degrees cooler last night vs when it was sighted in.

PS:

After doing some research, it appears this has been an issue with most Trails and most have been resolved with a firmware update which I did this morning.

I hope this corrects my issue.

Last edited:
Something major has to be wrong with the scope or maybe it was you, as missing at 25 yards with the X-hair squarely on the bobcat as well at 30 yards on the coyote, is unusual at that yardage, especially with the rifle held securely in a tripod.

If your X-hair was just coming on target when you broke the shot - ya, a miss at that yardage is a good possibility, but if you were settled in - I'm sure you'll find when you go to re-zero, that it's either very high or low from where you initially had it. Good Luck in the future.

You might think I'm nuts when I say this but I have quite a bit of experience with the trail scope and poi issues. Do not zero the scope on a warm day when the sun is bearing down on the scope warming it. Zero in the shade or at night and do it when the temperatures are close to what you will be hunting at. Give the scope at least a couple minutes of being on and when I say on I don't just mean display on. Having that heatsink up to running temperature I think plays a very important role in getting these things zeroed. Also dont just shoot 1 shot when checking zero or sighting in. You will probably find you're going to get an inch and a half of group drift from left to right and up and down depending on temperature. Find that happy medium that covers the temperature swings you hunt in and don't mess with it if it's killing stuff otherwise it will drive you nuts and you will chase it all over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223You might think I'm nuts when I say this but I have quite a bit of experience with the trail scope and poi issues. Do not zero the scope on a warm day when the sun is bearing down on the scope warming it. Zero in the shade or at night and do it when the temperatures are close to what you will be hunting at. Give the scope at least a couple minutes of being on and when I say on I don't just mean display on. Having that heatsink up to running temperature I think plays a very important role in getting these things zeroed. Also dont just shoot 1 shot when checking zero or sighting in. You will probably find you're going to get an inch and a half of group drift from left to right and up and down depending on temperature. Find that happy medium that covers the temperature swings you hunt in and don't mess with it if it's killing stuff otherwise it will drive you nuts and you will chase it all over.

Being electronics and encased with a plastic housing,I can see the possibilities. I’ll check it before hunting. Our temps can vary in the winter between 30-80 degrees.

Shouldn’t have to be dealing with problems like this for such an expensive device. Hope you get it resolved. I can imagine your (and others) frustrations.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Shouldn’t have to be dealing with problems like this for such an expensive device. Hope you get it resolved. I can imagine your (and others) frustrations.

I absolutely agree. I work 10-16 hrs a day (construction) and to tired to go hunting at times along with having to drive 1.5 hrs one way just to make a stand.....Very frustrating to say the least!

1. Let scope warm up for a couple minutes after turning on.
2. Always shoot atleast 2 shots to check poi.
3. Do not expect same poi with hot sun bearing down on that black scope.
If you look at these trails in thermal you can see that the heatsink on the side is definitely warm. No hot spots on a thermium when you look at it in thermal while hunting.
I would also keep two zeros if you're going to be hunting in a 50 degree temperature swing.
Depending on what powder you're burning I would expect slightly different POI shifts in that big of a temperature swing as well.

Last edited:
V 223,

Been reloading for a while and I also shoot long range (past 500 yds) so I’m very aware of temps and environmental conditions.

I downloaded the latest firmware update with boost and the unit runs even hotter now if boost is on.

I appreciate your feedback.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGV 223,

Been reloading for a while and I also shoot long range (past 500 yds) so I’m very aware of temps and environmental conditions.

I downloaded the latest firmware update with boost and the unit runs even hotter now if boost is on.

Frustrating for sure. Both my hunting buddy and I got away from the Pulsar thermals for the same reason.

I'm optimistic that after the Trail 2 hits the market and gets a year or two real-world field use, it proves to be an affordable option.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: TXCOONDOGV 223,

Frustrating for sure. Both my hunting buddy and I got away from the Pulsar thermals for the same reason.

I'm optimistic that after the Trail 2 hits the market and gets a year or two real-world field use, it proves to be an affordable option.

What are ya’ll running now ?

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: TXCOONDOGV 223,

What are ya’ll running now ?

Both of us went with the Trijicon Hunter Mk III 35mm.

Looks like I have a decision to make:

Spend a Lot more money on a different brand

Keep messing with my current units and hope Pulsar comes up with something better (resolve issues, etc.) in a couple years.

I will retire in a couple years at 51 and will be able to hunt two or three times a week so I definitely will need a dependable unit.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGLooks like I have a decision to make:

Spend a Lot more money on a different brand

Keep messing with my current units and hope Pulsar comes up with something better (resolve issues, etc.) in a couple years.

I will retire in a couple years at 51 and will be able to hunt two or three times a week so I definitely will need a dependable unit.

If you are still under warranty send it back in and get a replacement unit... expect the replacement to do the same thing.

The end-goal is to keep turning in defective units until you can swap out/up to a different design, maybe the Trail 2. Even if it's a little $$ extra out of pocket.

I kept a log and pics of my problems... well documented and impossible to deny.

I struggled with mine (Trail XP50) for two years... the full refund helped ease the financial impact of stepping up to the Trijicon… no regrets.

Definitely keep sending it back. I sent an xp50 back two times and the third unit has held perfect zero for 7 months now. And Pulsar says the warranty starts over with receipt of each new unit.

Back