20 gauge choke suggestions for #4 TSS

Mtns2hunt

I converted my Thompson Encore Muzzle loader over to a 20 g for turkey this year. I shot #9 TSS and with its shorter barrel, light weight and crisp trigger it is a pleasure to shoot.

Now I would like to shoot #4 TSS for coyotes. What choke constriction should I start with? I don't want to buy several chokes when only one will do even though there may be a couple of companies that will trade out the choke. I know my current Indian Creek .555 is too tight. Any help is appreciated.

I use Carlson's Extended Sporting Clays Imp/Mod chokes for my TSS, Federal Heavyweight and HW13 coyotes loads. TSS patterns pretty tight so the Imp/Mod chokes maybe tight enough.

What weight TSS shot charge are you going to use in your 20 ga?

Don't know for 20 gauge but on our 12's we use a Dead coyote extra full choke .669 for every thing steel to lead to heavy shot. 7'1/2 to "F" shot.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI use Carlson's Extended Sporting Clays Imp/Mod chokes for my TSS, Federal Heavyweight and HW13 coyotes loads. TSS patterns pretty tight so the Imp/Mod chokes maybe tight enough.

What weight TSS shot charge are you going to use in your 20 ga?

#4 TSS is what I thought would work well. 2's and 3's are becoming popular I was told by a vendor but I believe he thought I was shooting a 12g at the time.

Most of my shots will be under 40 yards and I want something that will really knock them down as I have had them run off after being shot with a 50 cal muzzle loader and a 220 Swift. Granted I am not sure where I hit him with the Swift as he was number three and the shooting was pretty hot and fast.

For reloading in a 20 ga TSS #4 shot would be my first choice because of the higher pellet count.

You should get right at 83 TSS #4 shot pellets per ounce.

For 12 ga loads TSS #3 shot is now my favorite size for coyotes.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobFor reloading in a 20 ga TSS #4 shot would be my first choice because of the higher pellet count.

Just received 2 lbs of TSS in the mail. 1 lb of #9 and one of #4. Will load and test over next couple of months. Decided to try a Carlson's Cremator choke. Also purchased a Pattern Master out of curiosity. Got it discounted and I have heard good and bad. Will see soon enough.

Originally Posted By: Mtns2huntOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbobFor reloading in a 20 ga TSS #4 shot would be my first choice because of the higher pellet count.

Just received 2 lbs of TSS in the mail. 1 lb of #9 and one of #4. Will load and test over next couple of months. Decided to try a Carlson's Cremator choke. Also purchased a Pattern Master out of curiosity. Got it discounted and I have heard good and bad. Will see soon enough.

Just wanted to comment on my above post. The pattern master has worked extremely well #4 TSS. Killed a coyote at 53 yards and it dropped without even a twitch.

Originally Posted By: Mtns2huntOriginally Posted By: Mtns2huntOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbobFor reloading in a 20 ga TSS #4 shot would be my first choice because of the higher pellet count.

Just wanted to comment on my above post. The pattern master has worked extremely well #4 TSS. Killed a coyote at 53 yards and it dropped without even a twitch.

What shot charge weight did you go with on your 20 ga TSS #4 loads? Did you count the amount of pellets per shell?

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: Mtns2huntOriginally Posted By: Mtns2huntOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbobFor reloading in a 20 ga TSS #4 shot would be my first choice because of the higher pellet count.

What shot charge weight did you go with on your 20 ga TSS #4 loads? Did you count the amount of pellets per shell?

I'm using 1 5/8 shot. I just weigh it out and no I did not count the shot. I have never been a shot counter and also do not pay much attention to the 10" circle. I am looking for a more even spread. The pattern master is performing to expectations and I do not anticipate any issues with larger shot.

I like to count the pellets per ounce and measure the pellets on each batch of expensive shot I get just so I know what I have.

There can be a big difference in the shot size or density between batches of shot.

I only loaded 1-1/2 ounces of TSS #4 shot in my 3" 12 ga loads and they worked great on coyotes.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI like to count the pellets per ounce and measure the pellets on each batch of expensive shot I get just so I know what I have.

There can be a big difference in the shot size or density between batches of shot.

I only loaded 1-1/2 ounces of TSS #4 shot in my 3" 12 ga loads and they worked great on coyotes.

Makes sense that there would be a difference in density and size between batches and even manufactures. But is the difference really enough to to throw off your pattern? How about regular lead loads: are they uniform? Does uniformity of shot impact pattern density? Many folks use only factory loads and still achieve satisfactory results.

I am very particular about reloading for my rifles but have not really felt the need to be as particular when reloading for my 20 gauge. I do test fire a shell from each batch and when changing chokes to insure consistency. (I use an Indian creek .555 for #9 shot.) I am also very exact on weight, charges and my reloading routine.

I don't worry about the cost very much as hunting is my main hobby and I always try to buy the best components when reloading. I may start to be more particular should any of my patterns deviate from the norm. But so far everything has been thumbs up. Of course I am new to reloading TSS and time will tell if I need to make changes. I appreciate the feedback as I know I have more to learn.

From my research TSS typically responds well to a little less choke than lead.

Only way to know for sure is shoot patterns!

Back