Coyote # 70

Snowshoes

My goal was 70 coyotes and I managed to hit that mark today!
After seeing the direction the coyotes went yesterday, I drove up the lease road to check that area out before heading home.
Three well traveled coyote trails confirmed where I would be sitting come Saturday morning.
Parked the truck in my usual spot and from there walked a half mile north where I would set up in front a row of trees.
Twenty minutes ticked by before seeing three coyotes headed my way. The three were staggered a couple hundred yards apart from each other but my attention was locked onto the lead coyote.
Of the three trails I seen yesterday, this coyote isn’t traveling on any of them. With the coyote 60 or so yards beyond the furthest trail, it would require the crosshairs to be raised some. Although the coyote was just walking, I couldn’t seem to get it to stop. With a slight lead, I touched off a shot which put the coyote down. The coyote managed to get back up and my next shot was a miss but the third shot put it down for good. Ranged the shot at 254 yards. ( 223AI & 64 gr Berger's)

Last edited:
Enjoy your adventures SS.
How far from home do you travel to hunt coyotes??
Seems you have things pretty well locked up.
70 is a great year. Congratulations!

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCONGRATS on getting to your GOAL. 70 coyotes is just Outstanding. Now you can work on 70+. WTG
Thank you lockrotor, I won't be chasing coyotes for to much longer this season but maybe I can add to the total.

Originally Posted By: borkonEnjoy your adventures SS.
How far from home do you travel to hunt coyotes??
Seems you have things pretty well locked up.
70 is a great year. Congratulations!
Thank you borkon,
I have kept all my hunts this season within 15 miles from home.

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameNice shooting and great season!
Thank you Ryan
Originally Posted By: emptymagGood job!

Just trying to get that 141 average up aren't ya.
Not intentionally lol

Big congrats on your milestone! Is your cartage/bullet combo the ultimate for you? Killing power, distance getter, etc.? Thx and congrats again!

Originally Posted By: 243kimberBig congrats on your milestone! Is your cartage/bullet combo the ultimate for you? Killing power, distance getter, etc.? Thx and congrats again!
Thank you 243kimber.
Of the two rifle/cartridge combos I'm presently using, I prefer the 223 and 52 gr. Berger's for calm days. Those windy days, I pack the 223AI.
Started with a 6mm Rem for coyotes in the late 70's and in the early 80's I bought a 223. After that, traded the 223 for a 22-250,then purchased a 20 Tactical, 204 Ruger, a 20 Vartarg, a 17 Fireball, a 6BR and lastly went back to the 223 Rem. Added the 223AI a couple years later. They all had their plus and minuses but for me, the 223 just plain works.

Congrats and hope the fur check was nice. Lots of work processing that many dogs.
A Fur-Fish-Game mag noted that next season your coyotes out to be in the $130 plus range. This year not so much.
Yours seem to be the max price or nearly so.

Last edited:
Very nicely done!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: 22 ChuckCongrats and hope the fur check was nice. Lots of work processing that many dogs.
A Fur-Fish-Game mag noted that next season your coyotes out to be in the $130 plus range. This year not so much.
Yours seem to be the max price or nearly so.
Sold this years coyote pelts to a fur buyer (3 different times) and my combined average was $131.00 CND
Hard to say what the market will be like next year. A lot has changed in the world since Fur-Fish-Game published that article. I would hope the market stays strong but somehow doubt it.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpVery nicely done!
thumbup.gif

Thank you DoubleUp

Your post makes me want to set a goal this year. Might even get out more if I can get it. Now for the number........(will not be anywhere near 70)

Back